Williams power upgrade trucks (revisited)

Started by jpstrainyard, March 16, 2011, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpstrainyard

JPof Acton MA, USA writes:
Would anyone know if it is possible to install Williams power upgrade trucks in Lionel postwar diesels (such as the UP 2023 loco) that feature the vertically mounted motors ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sincerely: JP of Acton MA, USA
Sincerely: JP

phillyreading

As far as I know, that would be next to impossible if not financial impracticle because of all the remounting work for the motors that would need to be done.
It would be easier to buy a new chassie assembly and mount the older shell onto it.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Dear JP,

Silver or yellow? Complete powered/dummy pair? 

Those are the best (and most de$irable) postwar Alcos that Lionel made. 

You're knowledgeable, so I'm scratching my head wondering why are you trying to change from stock (which would devalue them).

My best guess is that you are trying to power a dummy unit. 

Quizzically,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jpstrainyard

Hi Mr. Satnik,

it would be the powered unit for the yellow version. I wish to (possibly) change out the postwar motor and truck for a WBB one because the WBB motors and truck are maintenance-free, whereras with postwar motors, parts always need to be replaced when worn out such as the brushes and the armature.

Sincerely: JP of Acton MA, USA

Joe Satnik

JP,

Sounds like the face of your armature needs to be turned (machined) smooth on a lathe.   

The rough surface is wearing out your brushes.  I would also check the bearings for wear.

Talk with different repair techs til you find one that has the equipment and know how to overhaul your motor, gears and truck for the long run.

Maintain it well and you should get many, many miles out of it.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

phillyreading

I'm in agreement with Joe S. about losing the value of your postwar diesel engine. Get a very knowledgeable person to help you with that Lionel engine and you should have many years of service from it.

Lee F.

Ron Sims

There is also a simple, yet reversable option. Call Frank Timco. He does can motor replacements for Lionel trains and Williams, etc. He has a cool can motor repalcement kit for old lionel horizontal motor engines that is amazing.

Ron

DominicMazoch

How about getting a pair of W/WBB Pa's in UP yellow, and run them.  Then "retire" the classic Lionel's.

I have done this.  I have the Lionel 2245A-C Texas Special units.  When the W/WBB UP Heritage Katy came along, I "retired" the 2245's.  I do run them once in a while so the drive trains do not freeze up.  But the SD90 can haul my 6 15" AL W TS cars easily!

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes,

Mr. Sims, would you be able to provide more info about Frank Timco (ie contact info, e-mail address, website)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Mazoch, I don't wish to purchase the WBB version of the yellow 2023s and retire the Lionel yellow 2023s, I just would like to install the WBB power upgrade trucks in the powered unit

jpstrainyard

Mr. Sims, would you be able to provide more info about Frank Timco (ie contact info, e-mail address, website)

jpstrainyard

JP of Acton MA, USA writes:

Mr. Mazoch, I don't think I will be purchasing the WBB version of the yellow 2023s and retiring the Lionel yellow 2023s, I am wondering if it is possible to install the WBB power upgrade trucks in the powered unit, in place of the postwar motor.

JP... Try a Website...Dr. Tinker. He might be able to help you with the original factory setup.
      I am considering sending him my first loco, a 671 from 1948. My loco needs the drivers to be "Quartered". He provides that service and many more for original Lionel Trains.

I hope this helps...671

jpstrainyard

I have, in the past, ordered parts from Dr. Tinker (real name, David Laughridge - pronounced "law-ridge") I have seen him from time to time at the Greenberg train shows in Willmington MA. He is from Lexington MA, which is not far from my town (Acton MA). I might just order replacement parts from him and do the installation myself, rather than bring the whole loco to him and have him do the work.

Ron Sims

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
Give Frank Timco a call at 937-429-1461

He does custom motor replacements and adapt can motors to many engines.

Ron