News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

my new locomotive hums

Started by GRZ, March 16, 2011, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Banner

Quote from: Joe323 on March 18, 2011, 10:13:32 AM
I have a question related to this topic, so I'll ask it now.  I have heard of these so called silent running decoders and that they eliminate noises that humans can hear BUT  dogs can and that the noise might disturb our dog.  Any truth to this?

There may be some truth to it BUT the as the frequency goes up, the motor is less able to vibrate in time with the pulses.  So if your dog can hear it at all, it will not be very loud.  When we have an operating session on my layout, we may a dozen or more locomotives all running at once.  My two dogs ignore them completely.  They are more interested in the cookies or cake we usually have at these things.  My smaller dog has large, Corgi type ears and can hear a slice of cheese being folded at 20 paces.  But there has never been any kind of indication that he hears the decoder noise, let alone that he is bother by it.

Jim

Quote from: GRZ on March 18, 2011, 11:45:37 AM
... will this vibrating hurt the motor ?
grz

No.  The motor vibrates but not enough to shake anything apart.

Sorry to hear about the sad state of hobby supplies in your area.  But in compensation, you live in one of the most beautiful areas of North America.  I spent a week at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory in Hanover a few years ago.  Actually, many years ago.  I drove down from Montreal and still vividly remember the trip.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

most of my locomotives have silent running decoders. the only ones that don't are the ones that came from bachmann with their original decoders still inside. my dog's cage where he often lies is directly underneath the layout. he's never shown any indication that  the trains are disturbing him, except for the rear end colision where the cars hit the floor. that spooked him for a minute, but nothing else has......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GRZ

JEFF! did the guy in the caboose make the trip OK? wow!           JEFF you are correct I do live in GODS country, have over 70 years now thanks to my mom & dad, they GAVE me the hunk of land I wanted to build my log cabin on and I did just that ,and scratch bult it.they would have loved it.lost them both 8 months apart.I look out my front window at the farm house where I grew up.it is truly a wonderfull place to live .thank you for reminding me.grz  oh yes the 440 well I dont think the re programing helped. I guess i was just wishing to hard..

Johnson Bar Jeff

None of my engines hum, but they all whistle. ...

Doneldon

Well, my wife hums but I have to do the whistling.

GRZ

Rich, Thank you for the helpfull information on the decoder#dz125php.. Ive saved up the money and we are going to have a class 3 repair nite when the part makes it to LONE PINE FARM. and thank you all that also gave your ideas on the subject.tis neat to have a place to run to for problems like this.GREG