News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MBTA Commuter trains

Started by murfling, March 16, 2011, 11:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murfling

I spend most of my travel into Boston on the Downeaster into North Station.  Last summer, we actually took a trip on Amtrak's lakeshore limited from Boston's South Station to Chicago. I noticed coming out of South station there were several double level commuter cars for the MBTA.  I am planning on decorating a set of Bachmann Silver Double Decker commuter cars in the MBTA colors, but I am having trouble locating any photo's showing the head end power of these trains.

Can someone please tell me, which locomotives does the MBTA use to pull their double decker commuter cars from South station?

Thank You

Jonathan

quartermiler660

Hi Jonathan,  I live down in Brockton, and I know exactly what you're talking about.  Actually, they have at least two different locomotives on the commuter rail, maybe more.  If I were you, I'd get on the phone and just call them and ask for someone who would know that sort of data.  Now, depending on whether you are going to want to model the current locomotive power of the MBTA, or wait to see what they are going to get as replacements for the worn out clunkers they now have, is a determining factor, as to what you'll want to invest in.  WCVB, Ch. 5 had a piece on just recently about the loco's bad habit of breaking down, and the MBTA admitted their current inventory of locomotives are badly worn out, and that they are in the process of trying to acquire some "new" ones.  I didn't mean to go on at such length, but, I wanted for you to be aware of your choices.  Best of luck, and happy rails.
                                                                                                                        Bob de grouch

richg

Do a Google search for MBTA double decker commuter locomotives

I did a found a bunch of data. which includes the new locomotives they want to buy.

Rich