News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing Sound for Beginners, Like me!

Started by jonathan, March 19, 2011, 07:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Ah, I wonder...

While you're looking, I've read that some Bachmann steamers are notorious for reversing their motor wires.  I wonder if left is right and right is left?

Meanwhile I sent an email to Soundtraxx support.  Holding my breath...

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Thanks for finding it faster than I could, Rich.

Error Code 10 says I have an over voltage fault. Hmmm.  Now I'm even more confused.

Well, I'm too tired to mess with it right now.  I think I'll have to sleep on it.

I will open up the tender tomorrow (or the next day) and see if I can find a bad connection somwhere.

Thanks again, Rich.

Jonathan

Addendum:  My layout is DC I couldn't put that many volts into anything.  Now I'm even more confused. ;D

richg

OK, DC control. That is a new one to me. As I recall, the Tsunami I installed myself would not run on DC until I selected that option with my Power Cab DCC controller but that was a couple years ago I think. I just wanted to see what would happen on DC control.
I strongly suggest getting a DCC controller that can modify CV's if you want better response for decoders.

I always put a DCC installed loco on the program track, FIRST. One time I had a wire reverse connection and the program track option told me I had an error issue. The decoder would have smoked if I just tried to power up the normal way.

Program track option is designed to protect the decoder if installed incorrectly.

I always recommend a multimeter and DCC controller to properly set up a decoder install.

Rich

jonathan

Rich,

After a good night's sleep and some thought,  I believe you have hit on the answer.

I may have misread the instructions about running on DC.  Perhaps the decoder needs to be programmed to accept DC before it will run this way.

After some studying of the wiring and use of the multimeter, I believe I have wired everything correctly.

The error code is just telling me to stop cranking up the throttle to 11.  It's not going to move no matter how many DC volts I feed it.

So... at this point, on DC, when I feed 5 or more volts to the rails, the start up sound fires up (air compressor and some clanking).  I get no lights, whistle, bell, or movement.

My theory is the decoder needs to be programmed to run in dual mode.  I will be taking the loco to Timonium, to run on our Digitrax modular layout at the train show on 9 & 10 April.  There, a DCC guru can help me figure out what to do.

Until then I have Spring cleaning to finish on my layout and plenty of other trains to play with, 'er operate.

I will come back to this thread after a DCC buddy has helped me noodle this through.  I will love to report, and show a video, when my loco is chuffing along. :)

Thanks, for all your help.

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:  Finally found this buried towards the end of the programming manual:

"Analog Mode
"While Tsunami is first and foremost a DCC decoder, it may be used on a
DC powered layout, within certain limitations, by enabling the Analog Mode
feature. First set CV 12 to 1 and then set CV 29 to a value that enables
analog mode as well as any desired DCC parameters such as the address
range and so forth as discussed under Step 2, 'Configuring the Decoder'
earlier in this manual."

If I read this right, my loco won't operate in DC until I set CV12 to 1 and CV29 to some other value.  I just spoke greek to myself and didn't understand a word, other than I need a DCC buddy to help me set up Analog. jv

uncbob

Quote from: jonathan on March 21, 2011, 09:17:25 PM
Ah, I wonder...

While you're looking, I've read that some Bachmann steamers are notorious for reversing their motor wires.  I wonder if left is right and right is left?

Meanwhile I sent an email to Soundtraxx support.  Holding my breath...

Regards,

Jonathan

Yep
My 2-8-4 was reversed from what was labeled on Bachmann's PC board

richg

Never trust the Bachmann wire colors. Get yourself a multimeter and ring out the loco wiring. Those meters have been suggested here before with a link to the site that sells them. About $4.00.
I do that with any loco DCC install. Some other brands do the same thing with wiring colors.

Rich

jonathan

Yep, thanks, guys.  I'm all over it.  Have run the wire test with a multimeter as stated previously.  Will be doing the programming thing at our next modular layout display.

As this is not a B&O loco, I may keep it DCC only, and run it at displays... If it runs OK.  I'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Well folks, this project was definitely a success.  Here's a couple videos and pix of the Kanawha in action.  Camera is not all that focused, but you can hear the chuffing and see the wheels turn.  What more could you ask?  There's also a video of the Sound Connie (stock Tsunami  from the factory) as a comparison.

I got many compliments on the deep, full sound of the TSU-1000 in the 2-8-4.  That does not speak to my skills, but the quality of the two products put together.

Click on the photos to see the video.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Jonathan

BestSnowman

-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

NMWTRR

Jonathon,

Great project  :)

All of the detailed photos and info will be a great resource to others installing sound decoders.

NMWTRR

jonathan

Thanks,

I'm very happy with it.

I did this project in public, so to speak, to help others who are considering sound installation.  Of course, this was an easy one.  The 2-8-4 and TSU-1000 fit together so perfectly, it's like they were made for each other.

One thing I learned.  Soundtraxx does not deliver their decoders in dual mode (able to run on DC).  Now I need a DCC guru to help me get it dual mode, and to adjust the sounds a bit.  The whistle is nice, but is not loud enough to overcome the chuffing.

The blow down steam function is louder than all get out.  Perhaps that's how it was in reality.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

Quote from: jonathan on April 10, 2011, 06:38:39 AM
Thanks,

I'm very happy with it.

I did this project in public, so to speak, to help others who are considering sound installation.  Of course, this was an easy one.  The 2-8-4 and TSU-1000 fit together so perfectly, it's like they were made for each other.

One thing I learned.  Soundtraxx does not deliver their decoders in dual mode (able to run on DC).  Now I need a DCC guru to help me get it dual mode, and to adjust the sounds a bit.  The whistle is nice, but is not loud enough to overcome the chuffing.

The blow down steam function is louder than all get out.  Perhaps that's how it was in reality.

Regards,

Jonathan

Below is a link to the Yahoo SoundTraxx DCC Group that has a bunch of guys with a lot of DCC experience.
One is Bruce Petrarca Mr. DCC, who started and ran Litchfield Station DCC on line company. He has sold it and now has his own site with a link to Litchfield the last time I looked.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soundtraxx/

I find many advantages to belonging to more than one forum. Sometimes helps prevent a smoked decoder and other mistakes.

Since thee Bach Man does not like discussion of other companies products, the below is very useful for general discussions of other company products and has a large membership.

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/forums/

Rich

napa15

Jonathan, we spoke briefly about this installation a few weeks a go in another thread. I'm about to begin the installation process in my own Berk of the same decoder and speaker, following your steps. (Though I'm pretty frustrated that my LHS has taken 2 weeks to get the decoder and speaker in when I could have had in two days ordering online... that's what I get for supporting my LHS, oh and it cost more).

Anyway, I had a question come up before I get to the installation. I have the standard run of the mill Bachmann EZ Command DCC controller and no extra power booster to my layout (a standard 4x8 layout). Do you forsee any issues using this controller to program the Tsunami decoder, especially concerning power? I was reading somewhere else concerning this sort of topic and it got me thinking and I am REAL GREEN in these matters. Thanks.

jonathan

Napa15,

I'm not a DCC guru.  However,  with the EZ Command System, I'm pretty sure you can program an address (1-9) and trigger the various sounds available.

You cannot program/change any of the factory default settings of the decoder, like chuff speed, type of whistle and the like.  You will need a bigger system to make any changes.

With your size layout, you should have no problems running the locomotive without a booster, as long as you don't try to run multiple sound locos at the same time.  Sound locos draw more current than a non-sound DCC loco.

That's about as far as my knowledge goes.  I run my Berk at train shows, on our club modular layout, which has one of the more sophisticated Digitrax systems.  I always need a little extra help getting set up to run trains, especially if I need a trip to the programming track.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

uncbob

I did my Bachmann 2-8-4 undecorated decaled for my Freelanced RR
Yep they had their motor wires mislabeled
Got it working OK

At lest the tender had a speaker ready location

I think since it cost about $100 for decoder and speaker to do other trains it is worth the extra $70--$80 to buy a new DCC/Sound if available and keep the original as a spare shell/engine or in a display

Hassle isn't worth it to me especially in trying to find room for the decpder and speaker on models that don't have the space already there