News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

True Blast II Problem

Started by 671, March 20, 2011, 07:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I currently have three WbyB locos. My most recent is the 671 Turbine semi-scale. I purchased this on Friday. Saturday morning I unwrapped the loco and tender, nice reproductions. One item that disappointed me was the type style of the number 671. It looks exactly like this type print only thinner.
     Ok, I can live with it. I may even change the numbers for the correct size and style.
     Here is the bigger challenge. The 'true blast' whistle blows without volume. One must put his ear next to the tender to hear the sound. This is the same challenge that I had on my new WbyB Great Nortern Berkshire, two months ago.
     I found the cause to be the same within both tenders. On the True Blast's electronic board near the outside edge; there is a component mounted vertically, made with a bright metal and is circular in shape. In the center of the circle is a small rectangular slot. I believe this is a variable (adjustable by turning the rectangular key hole) resister. I believe this adjusts the volume of the 'True Blast' sound. Turning the keyway only gave a moment of louder sound. The answer was that this device was bent away from a small blue capacitor distorting its' design shape. As soon as I bent this device on its mount toward the blue capacitor..... PERFECTION.

I hope this helps.....671

GTBob

This is good info for all to know.  I'll bet the diesel horn board is designed the same way.  Thanks for the heads-up.  Enjoy your your new loco.... :)

GTBob
"If a man does his best, what else is there!"--General George S. Patton Jr.

CandO

Good post in case someone else encounters this issue.

For reference....
here is a photo of the one on my E7 from when I posted how to adjust the volume.  It is a potentiometer or pot for short.  In my photo below, it is right in the center.  You turn the shiny metal piece clockwise to raise the volume.

pinzero

I had a similar problem with an FP45 and True Blast sound - sound was very intermittent would sometimes work - sometime not - be very low - just overall inconsistent at best but mostly not working - bell or horn.  I had it running on a Fastrack system from a polar express set - CW-80 - thought it was something with the transformer (based on everything that I've read) . 

I Expanded the set recently and replaced the CW-80 with a z-4000 - same problem.  Sound would be inconsistent at best or not work at all.  This post inspired me to have a look - in my case the potentiometer was straight up - but something else was off with it - I remember having a stereo amp that would get static when adjusting the volume - dust or dirt between the contacts  - I adjusted it up and down briskly a few times tested it on my new bench CW-80 ;) and it started working "as designed" - so dirt or poor contacts inside the potentiometer was causing the flakiness there were no soldering problems that I could detect prodding around the connections - I did reverse the board moving the potentiometer away from the speaker - all of the leads were long enough - this was to get better access to the volume control without torquing  anything it back together and it appears to be working for now. 

Thank you for posting your info - you've now fixed 3 Locomotives ;)

-Phil

the nitro man

anyone know if the older mth railking stuff is like this? i have a berk & a mohawk, the berk is louder.

Joe Satnik

Dear NM,

Not sure where the adjustment is on MTH RK steam, but MTH RK "horn and bell" diesels have a volume control under a removable top hatch.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

the nitro man

these don't seen to have a volume control knob.

Joe Satnik

Dear NM,

A very small (#0) Phillips screwdriver is needed to adjust the volume on the forementioned diesel.  (Not a finger sized knob.)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

the nitro man

I pooped the shell off again & I didn't see anything that looked like a mechanical control. I did raise the volume on my Williams girls steam engine though.

Joe Satnik

the nitro man

mine's not protosound. i wish they were.

Joe Satnik

Look for holes to access the bottom side of the sound board. 

If that doesn't help, put up pictures of the sound board.   

Is there a forum dedicated to MTH where you can ask?

the nitro man

Quote from: Joe Satnik on April 11, 2011, 12:30:47 PM
Look for holes to access the bottom side of the sound board. 

If that doesn't help, put up pictures of the sound board.   

Is there a forum dedicated to MTH where you can ask?

i'll try & get pictures up in a day or two. i don't know of any mth forums just dedicated to just mth. might be, but i haven't looked.

M1FredQ

Hey Fellas

I am having a similar problem with my Williams Santa Fe F-3 Black and Red.
You can barely hear the rail sounds. Any advice on the F units???????

M1FredQ

With Santa Fe F-3  Black-Red unit, when it is switched on for the first time you can
activate the train sound and it will do it one time only then silence!!!!!!!!!!!