News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0

Started by dpurcell, March 02, 2011, 06:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncbob

Quote from: dpurcell on March 30, 2011, 05:45:05 PM
Good news!! I successfully negotiated enough real estate for an 18" radius curve behind the couch :) So I'm going give the 2-8-0 a try! Next up is to find some decent looking coacxhes for it to pull ;)
18 inches is OK for the 2-8-0 but I would go with the 34 ft Old Time Overtons for coaches
50 fters and up don't look good on 18 inch curves

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Pacific Northern on March 30, 2011, 07:37:00 PM
If you check ConCor, they have a set of coaches coming soon. They are the shorter coaches, have interiors and lighting as well.

I think those cars are 60-footers? They will work. I have some Rivarossi 60-ft. cars that have no problems on 18-inch-radius curves.

Quote from: uncbob on March 31, 2011, 07:29:09 AM
18 inches is OK for the 2-8-0 but I would go with the 34 ft Old Time Overtons for coaches
50 fters and up don't look good on 18 inch curves

Good point. I love the Overtons--just added a set of the PRR RTR cars to my rolling stock--but I think if you don't have at least five of them--or more--in the train, the train looks awfully puny, especially for a Consolidation. The Bachmann old-time cars, or the identical cars from Con-Cor or Rivarossi, might make a good compromise.

Doneldon

The Overton cars are linked to a specific early period in railroading so they'll be anachronistic on railroads much after the turn of the 20th Century. Sixty-footers aren't too bad on 18" curves and the cars look more like they belong behind the Bachmann Connie.

-- D

uncbob

I use the Overtons to pull my FanFare excursions
I bought them individually and painted for my RR

I use an Old Time 4-4-0 and a Bachmann modern DCC Sound 4-4-0

timhar47

The Rivarossi 'Shorty' Coaches are really great - can be pricey tho - up to $109 for 2. I was luck, I found a previous set, 3 PRR coaches for $95.

uncbob

In any case the 2-8-0 was a freight engine although they are used today as fanfare passenger pullers