News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA Light 2-10-2

Started by kiwin992, March 24, 2011, 02:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwin992

Hi all,
Can someone plse advise the minimum radius that these locos can handle.
thanks

bobwrgt

22inch to be sure. I do have 2 that will run with no problem on 18in. You need good track work level and smooth.
Some will make 18in, most need 22in.

Bob

Pacific Northern

I have a couple of the Spectrum 2-10-2's and I can confirm that mine run fine on my 18" radius test track. My layout has wider curves than the 18"r so I have no problems.

However,  I have heard that some owners had problems running theirs on 18" radius so, I would caution you to try the engine out first, if your are limited to 18" track.

I am very impressed with the running capablilites of these engines. Great to watch mulitiple 2-10-2's with a long line of hoppers slowing climbing my incline.
Pacific Northern

hawaiiho

I have several 2-10-2 locomotives. Only one of them will run on the 18" radius loop without problems.

Even at that, it doesn't look very good. Not a good fit.

timhar47

Well - mine just arove in the mail today (79.99 DCC from MB Klein) and it is rather nice. I just tried it out, and she does make it round my current 18"r loop. Slows down a little, and makes a little grunting on the 18"r but successful at running.
Tim

rogertra

If people have 18" radius curves, then why on Earth do they purchase 2-10-2s and other larger steam as well as C-C diesels, all of which not only look silly on such tight curves but have trouble negotiating them.

Seems a waste of money to me.

Purchase 2-8-0s, the Russian 2-10-0 the 4-6-0s and possibly 4-6-2s and only B-B diesels and 40 foot cars, you'll be much happier.

bobwrgt

We purchase them because we like them. I am quite happy with all of them. Never met an engine i didn't like. The curve part of my layout is just a fraction of the distance the train travels. Doesn't look silly to me. Of course it's my railroad and not someone elses.

Bob

timhar47

I agree - good night nurse - we all make purchases of what we like to see, and some of us are not privy to having tons of space available. At this point my post was just to add to those that said it worked. I am putting in a 22"r shortly.
Also there are so few low priced DCC steamers out there right now - a lot of hobby stores have run out of several loco's. The 2-8-0 are mostly OOS right now.
I am also shocked at the stinking jump in cost from 18"r ($2) to 22"r ($4), let alone what it cost for the larger radii.

Pacific Northern

For those who have limited space.

Sometime ago on another web site there was a series of postings dealing with E-Z track. You can alternate laying 18" and 22" EZ track pieces. I was surprised and tried it and it works. You get a slightly larger radius track.  Works for a half circle and of course a full circle.
Pacific Northern

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: timhar47 on March 31, 2011, 12:09:01 AM
I agree - good night nurse - we all make purchases of what we like to see, and some of us are not privy to having tons of space available.

Agreed! Even if I had a ton of space and could use wide curves, I'd still run mostly "small steam," 4-4-0s and so forth, because that's what I like.  :)

Burto

I purchased a 2-10-2 Bachmann because I like to look at it ,like most of my other Bachmann locos.What?For $80 with a cast iron boiler it is great value for money!Thanks for the tip on alternating 18" and 22" EZ track.My grandson loves my old 2-8-0.Blokes like me enjoy looking at these locos.I revived my interest from the 1970's as a source of diversional therapy.I love it.Reading a the history of Australian and US railroads,and currently about to try installing decoders in my old locos,the challenge is fantastic.
Cheers to all,
Burto
Keep on smiling

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I fired up my free Anyrail.com layout CAD program and laid down alternating 22"R and 18"R curves (4 and 3 each, respectively) to form the slightly larger semi-circle as described above.

The center-line-between-rails diameter of the resulting semi-circle is 39.41", which when divided by two, gives a "pseudo-radius" of 19.705"R,

or about 19-11/16"R.  

If you subbed 2 half-18"R curves for the middle 18"R curve, you could get a 90 degree turn out of it, which would allow expansion in the middle of the semi-circle with straights.  (Though on the 18"R "split" you would loose the "easement" effect of the larger 22" radius curve.)

This alternating curve semi-circle would leave about 2-1/4" spacing with a pure 22"R semi-circle.    

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit: spelling
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.