N scale DCC ready Locomotives jump track on switches and turnouts

Started by racorsr, March 31, 2011, 06:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racorsr

Have problems with Backmann DCC ready locomotives jumping the track on turnouts or left/right remote Atlas switches at any speed. Regular locomotives work OK. Wheels on regular locomotive trucks have bigger diameter providing a higher clearance than DCC ready locomotives.  Any suggestions? I've tried Backmann remote turnouts but they work half of the time, reason why I decided to try Atlas.

dtpowell

This is only a guess on my part, but wheather a locomotive has DCC or not is only a coincidence. The problem in my opinion may be with the gauge of the wheels. They may be too narrow or too wide. You'll need a track gauge (Recommended) to know for sure. Hopefully the Bach-mann has a solution. Best of luck.

mrmtox

Which wheels are derailing?  I've just finished a similar problem - see the recent posts under "derailment".

LWTrain

I have the same problem with the Bachmann Empire Builder Set and Atlas code 55 track.  Used the NMRA standards gauage to check the wheel spacing and found that all the wheels were too close together.  I suspect Bachmann complies with a British standard rather than the NMRA.
Bachmann prints a disclaimer on the box that says "Use of non-compatible systems may result in unsatisfactory performance".
By the way, I checked all the measurements on the Atlas track and turnouts and they were all exactly what they should be.