News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NORFOLK AND WESTERN TOTALLY DEAD HELP!

Started by darticus, April 15, 2011, 07:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Anyway to check this out? It doesn't seem to show and signs of getting power. I think my warrentee just ended so I don't think Bachmann we give me any help. Does anyone know if power is also picked up by the front 4 wheels or the rear loco 4 wheels? I don't think these do pick up power. Ron

Albert in N

Fortunately, Bachmann shows a relatively small cost to repair or replace a locomotive out of warranty.  I think it is around $20 for a steam locomotive.  Check the repair section of bachmanntrains.com.   I have ordered parts from Bachmann to fix my own trains and used the diagram (come with locomotive or on line) to guide me.  I have never sent one to Bachmann, but friends who have done so liked the service.  That is a big reason that I use mostly Bachmann, Atlas, or Kato locomotives.  It's the parts and service that matter to me!

ACY

The cost for repair or replacement as determined by Bachmann is $25.

darticus

This loco was a Xmas gift so I think its under warranty. Ron

ACY

You need a receipt for the loco though or proof you got it when you said to be covered, so as long as you have a receipt or something, you're good.

darticus

I have the receipt and its from Xmas. do these locos have 90 days or a year? I think the web site says a year. Ron
Quote from: ACY on April 16, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
You need a receipt for the loco though or proof you got it when you said to be covered, so as long as you have a receipt or something, you're good.

ACY

The loco must be received by Bachmann within one year from the date of purchase.

darticus

I'll just send it in. Ron

Quote from: ACY on April 16, 2011, 11:11:47 AM
The loco must be received by Bachmann within one year from the date of purchase.

en4cer

After reading the posts on this thread, I got curious about what Bachmann's warranty policy is so I went to the service link on this website to see what exactly is the policy. It was interesting to say the least, they claim to offer a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" however if your unit is over one year from the purchase date they require what they call a "nominal fee" to have your unit repaired or replaced. How is this a lifetime warranty? Is it covered for life or isn't it? In my humble opinion a lifetime warranty shouldn't come with a required nominal fee. A good hotshot lawyer would have a field day with this one. Bachmann needs to change the policy to reflect what it is they offer, a ONE YEAR warranty with a fee for repairs thereafter.

ACY

Quote from: en4cer on April 24, 2011, 11:18:12 PM
After reading the posts on this thread, I got curious about what Bachmann's warranty policy is so I went to the service link on this website to see what exactly is the policy. It was interesting to say the least, they claim to offer a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" however if your unit is over one year from the purchase date they require what they call a "nominal fee" to have your unit repaired or replaced. How is this a lifetime warranty? Is it covered for life or isn't it? In my humble opinion a lifetime warranty shouldn't come with a required nominal fee. A good hotshot lawyer would have a field day with this one. Bachmann needs to change the policy to reflect what it is they offer, a ONE YEAR warranty with a fee for repairs thereafter.
Actually, technically it is a lifetime warranty, because if it was not under warranty then they would not have to repair or replace it at all. Something can be under warranty, yet not have free replacement or repair. Being under warranty does not necessarily mean free repair or replacement.

en4cer

I'm sorry ACY but that last comment you made makes no sense at all. I work in a service industry and something that has a warranty is repaired free of charge and along the same token if that item were not under warranty then it would still be repaired at a cost to the consumer.

ACY

QuoteBachmann's Lifetime Limited Warranty covers motorized units only. Under the warranty, Bachmann can decide whether to repair or replace an item at their discretion.
The key word is limited, a limited warranty means that there can or may be a charge associated with repair or replacement. Legally a limited warranty only guarantees that the company will provide warranty service to the original owner of the product during the warranty period. It does not mean it must provide warranty service free of any charge. A full warranty, includes free repair or replacement of the item with the exception of shipping and handling costs. But Bachmann does not offer a full warranty it is a limited warranty. Most people are not very knowledgeable when it comes to warranties and assume all warranties include free replacement or repair of the product. Most people are not aware of all the potential differences between a limited and a full warranty. If you read about warranties you will see all the technicalities and necessary components of each
Also, there is no requirement or law stating a company must service its product if it is not under warranty.

ericw95

Quote from: en4cer on April 25, 2011, 10:40:23 PM
I'm sorry ACY but that last comment you made makes no sense at all. I work in a service industry and something that has a warranty is repaired free of charge and along the same token if that item were not under warranty then it would still be repaired at a cost to the consumer.
lets see, what happens if you have a 10 year old train from like model power or something. suddenly, it stops working for no apparent reason other than it is old. Model Power and many other manufacturers offer ZERO customer service and will simply be of no help at all. On the other side, let's say you have a 10 year old bachmann model that has cracked gears, bachmann will simply replace the ENTIRE model for a newer and comparable one for a pretty small fee ($25 dollars for spectrum versus over $100 for a new model). Seems pretty reasonable to me no matter how you look at it. I had an old bachmann 2-8-0 with cracked gears, they sent me a new 4-8-4 for just $15 dollars and the cost to send in my loco. 4-8-4 new is over $90 local hobby shop. that's a saving of around $70, wheras any other company's loco would just be hopeless sitting on a shelf.

Also, yea  it may be discressionary but i haven't hear of anybody being rejected for a warranty if its simply a mechanical flaw in a loco (such as the infamous white gears).

ACY

Bachmann will replace or repair any loco that falls under their limited warranty. When I said that companies did not have to service their product when out of warranty, I was not referring to Bachmann. The limited warranty is a life-time warranty for the original owner, under the terms service within the first year is free (except for one way shipping).