News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tank car weight

Started by ajrr, April 19, 2011, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajrr

I recently purchased a silver series tank car. It is under weight! How do I dis assemble it to add weight to the inside of the tank?

jward

step 1:
carefully pry the underframe from the tank car body. there are 3 mouinting pins, one behind the side ladders, the other two midway between the ladders and the end of the tank. be careful not to snap these pins off.

step 2:
gently pry the bottom of the tank from the tank body.

step 3:
using silicon caulk, secure pennies against the ends of the tank bottom. use an equal number of pennies on each end to balance the weight. let the caulk cure overnight, then reassemble the tank car.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

railsider

Washers might be cheaper ......................or a weight attached to the bottom half of the tank, to lower the centre of gravity.

Doneldon

railsider-

"Washers might be cheaper"

I doubt it. It's been many a moon since I saw a washer for as little as a penny.

-- D

Jim Banner

If you like running your trains like slot cars, then you might want to put the pennies near the center instead of at the ends.  The center of gravity will be the same but the moment of inertia will be less.  A lower moment of inertia will make the cars less likely to spin off the track when you hit corners at high speed.  If you run your trains at more realistic speeds, putting the pennies as shown is just fine.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Tedshere

Good one guys !  I've got the same situation and didn't want to get too aggressive when trying to get the tank off. Wasn't sure if it would even come off or what I'd find. Thanks for the pics JWARD.
     I've been using hot melt glue to secure weights in place. Anybody see a problem with that?
    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

Len

Using "Low Temp" hot melt glue in a gun that can do "Low Temp" should be fine. A "High Temp" glue gun may get the glue hot enough to melt something.

Personally, after getting the tank off the frame, I drill a hole along the center line and load it with a premeasured load of BB's and a shot of white glue to lock them in place. Rattle things around a bit to spread the glue out, let it set up overnight, remount to the frame, and it's good to go.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Tedshere

Just finished correcting the weight on my tank car. I had been using lead fishing sinkers to add weight. But ran out and didn't have enough pennies in the house to do the job. Well it finally dawned on me that I have coffee cans full of nuts and bolts found and salvaged from numerous places.  Success!!  ;D And even cheaper than pennies. I love it when a plan comes together.
    Ted
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
Ted
Kalkaska, Michigan

jward

Quote from: Tedshere on May 23, 2011, 03:51:43 PM
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Ted

another fan of the a-team..
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA