Ho IHC Premier Steam Engine PRR 4-6-2 drawbar

Started by New ChooChoo, April 25, 2011, 01:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Here's one of those things that happens clear out of the blue for no reason at all.
I was working on my layout and picked the engine and tender up and all of a sudden I was missing the drawbar that connects the tender and the engine together. It WAS screwed to the tender but somehow the screw came loose and I didn't notice it and the bar and screw fell off. I have searched the room numerous times but no luck in finding it. Anyone know where I can get a drawbar for this engine?? Anyplace that carries parts like this for steam engines? Help!

jonathan

Check with Dan at Yardbird Classic Trains.  He carries drawbars for older locomotives.  I have also made my own drawbars from old credit cards.  Don't know what size screw you need, but you can always tap for a different size screw. I keep a small box with assorted leftover screws and usually manage to find the size I need.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtnut

In all likelyhood the screw is probably metric, and it likely had a shoulder on it so it wouldn't bind the drawbar when screwed down tight.  If you have access to a decent hobby shop, check for screws around 2mm thread.  When you find the right screw, then find some brass tubing that will just fit over the screw.  Cut it just long enough to clear the width of the new drawbar so it will rotate freely.  I like Johnathon's idea about the credit card - they are made of tough plastic and should last a long time.