Track! how about a G scale Bachmann 30 degree track!

Started by achristo, May 02, 2011, 11:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

achristo

How's with me? 3 degree track would sure be a nice addition to the yard!  so does anyone know if other makers have one that will fit my standard steel Bachmann?

Joe Satnik

?  It takes 12 pieces of Bachmann LS curve track to make a 2' radius (4' diameter) circle.  

360 degrees per circle/12 pieces per circle = 30 degrees per piece.  

I'll bet Bachmann wishes all new product requests were that easy.      
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

achristo

Sorry Jo I wasn't clear.  I want a piece that crosses over at 30 degrees, I have a 90 degree but no sign of a 30.

Joe Satnik

AKA a Cross, or Crossing track.  See Aristo-Craft, LGB, or Piko's 30 degree crossing.

I think a 60 degree crossing would be more useful, as this would put the curve track joints on the 4 major compass points (E,S,W,N) when making a figure 8.   

You will need to remove Bachmann's hollow rail black blades to mate with other manufacturers' solid track:

(From an earlier post)

"To remove the blades, turn the Bachmann track over, and look for the bent up tabs cut from the rails near the center tie.  Gently bend the tabs up to match the profile of the rail, then slide the rail away from the blade.  When the rail clears the blade, lift the blade out.

Save the blade for future use.  (I store mine under the tie, with a piece of black electrical tape wrapped around the tie.)

Slide the rail back and gently bend the rail tabs to hold it in place.

You will need some other method to hold the different track sections together, as the Bachmann plastic clips will not work with other manufacturers ties.  I use 2 rubber bands per joint, though there is probably a more elegant way to do it."  (e.g. black tie wraps)

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

achristo

the figure 8 was part of the plan. Thanks for your help. I think I'll pick up an Aristo-craft and give it a try.

Joe Satnik

Dear achristo,

A much cheaper way to get the gaps on the major compass points, though, would be to cut 2 regular curves in half, to get 4 half curves. 

Use them as the first curve after the 90 degree crossing and straights.

I would wish for new Bachmann half-curves and separate sale half-straights.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik