News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Locomotive Help

Started by cabooskie, April 25, 2011, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabooskie

ok so i have 3 bachmann spectrum DCC equipped steam Locomotives....one is the modern 4-4-0 PA & MA...the other 2 are Pennsy K4 4-6-2's one is post and the other pre-war....the 4-4-0 worked perfectly and responded well to the Bachmann EZ Command DCC system....the two Pennsy's work in analog mode but not in DCC operation...and they make a pretty significant humming noise when sitting on the track in DCC operation...from what I understand these locomotives are supposed to already be DCC equipped for speed, light and direction. When I try to program the Pennsy's they seem to respond to the programming but after that...nothing!!! I have had them for about a year but this the first time I actually got to try them out...so they are brand new and right out of the box....any advice, suggestions, or help?!?!?!

ACY

I know Bachmann has made the K4s without DCC, so check inside the tender to see whether you have a decoder or jumper plugs installed. It sounds to me like you may not have decoders because of the buzzing noise you are describing.

NarrowMinded

If you don't want to pop the top on your tenders, put your one of the suspect loco's on the track, select button 10 on your Ez Command and turn up the throttle if they run but buzz 99.9% they are not dcc equiped, Maybe only DCC ready.

NM

cabooskie

to NM....thats exactly what they do on button ten....they buzz but run....so where do i get the necessary decoders  since that sounds like what is needed? But before I go buying decoders I will double check....from what I do understand these Locomotives are supposed to be "DCC On Board" ...

ACY

If they run on address 10, then they do not have a DCC decoder installed, it is as simple as that.
The locomotives are likely DCC ready, but there is a difference between DCC ready and as you call it "DCC On Board." DCC ready means it is easier to install a decoder, but the locomotive does not include a DCC decoder. The box and paper work will probably say "DCC Ready." Unless somebody removed the decoders and replaced them with the jumpers, and you bought these used, they did not ever have a DCC decoder installed.

NarrowMinded

Hey Acy, I put 99.9% because they could have a decoder installed incorrectly, but I re-read the OP and it does say new out of the box.

cabooskie,
EZ Command button 10 is for DC locomotive operation, though it will run one of your dc loco's to me the risk of frying the motor and the buzz just is not worth it,  you can get decoders that work just about anywhere, I like ECS decoders, others Like Digitrax, you could get Bachmann decoders and pop them in, it's reallly up to you.

NM

cabooskie

ty for all the info...I will check to see if decoders are installed, if so i will see if they are installed correctly, ive been checking out different decoders online and if i need to buy decoders, next question i have is my locomotives are dcc ready for speed, direction, and lighting....if i buy a decoder that offers sound as well, will the sound work on a locomotive that is specified as dcc ready for speed, light and direction?? Cause the Bachmann Spectrum steam locomotives i have are 8 pin plugs...and i have seen several HO 8/9 pin plug decoders for steamlocomotives with sound....If i can add sound to my locomotives as well that would be really great!! Please let me know!! I am obviously new to this whole DCC thing and trying to catch up with the times. I will be doing more online research as well. Hope to hear from you soon!!

ACY

Sure you can add sound all you need is a decoder, a speaker and a baffle. You may want to drill out small holes in the bottom of the tender for better sound if it doesn't already have some. Make sure you measure the inside so everything fits okay.

cabooskie

ok ty ....speaker holes were already there thats y I was asking...thanks acy and NM for all the help...just got to measure for the right size speaker...ive seen them  ranging in size from 22 to 28 mm

OldTimer

If you end up with a 9-pin decoder and need the 8-pin interface, you can get a patch cord from Digitrax in a couple of different lengths.
OldTimer
Just workin' on the railroad.