Found this picture of our old American Flyer layout

Started by ACY, April 30, 2011, 06:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

It is at my dad's old house, this photo is from around late 60's to the early 70's. I think I have some more in an old album.

Doneldon

ACY-

Wow! That's the most American Flyer trains I've
ever seen. I hope you appreciated them.
                                                       -- D

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on April 30, 2011, 06:27:51 PM
Wow! That's the most American Flyer trains I've
ever seen. I hope you appreciated them.
If you look in the upper right hand corner you can see he had them all on wooden shelves on the wall, they shelves extended the full length of the wall and there were shelves on the opposite wall but split in the middle by the doorway.

Jerrys HO

I'm with D that is impressive. I still have my older brothers set from the 50's and everything still works just chose to display them. I just wish my dad or brother would have done something similar. Let's see more!

Jim Banner

That is impressive.  I sure wish I had more photos of my early days in model railroading.

If you find more, please post them.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ACY

I will scan them in the next time I visit my parents. That is my Dad in the photo, in his early 20's i would guess.

ebtnut

My first toy train set was a Marx set with a pair of F-unit style SP diesels (one was a dummy) and 3 or 4 freight cars. My second train set was an American Flyer passenger train with the New Haven 4-6-2 and a three-car set of standard passenger cars.   I got to pick it out as a birthday present when I was about 7.  My dad took me to Corr's hobby shop in downtown DC.  I eventually traded it away for a train table with HO track already laid down when I decided to "go scale". 

ACY

Was this the set you had? Or did you have the red/burgundy ones?

Was this your loco, or did yours just say New Haven?

ebtnut

ACY:  That's the locomotive, but the passenger cars were the old standard style from the 1920's/30's era, not the streamliners you illustrate. 

jward

my first train was an n scale erie railroad fa. it was cast metal, weighed a ton (for an n scale locomotive) and ran at supersonic speeds. i am a third generation railfan/modeller, they skipped the toy train stage with my generation.

i always liked american flyer. s scale is a nice size, i just wish there was more available in that scale.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Quote from: jward on May 02, 2011, 08:52:06 PM
i always liked american flyer. s scale is a nice size, i just wish there was more available in that scale.
If I get the photos up this weekend you will see how many things American Flyer made in S. They also had HO & O. I also have one American flyer HO loco, and a couple pieces of rolling stock.

ebtnut

One of the iconic HO steam models from the late '40's/early '50's was the American Flyer Hudson.  Take a look at the Trackside Photos in MR from those early years and you'll see quite a few of them, along with the Varney Docksider.  The Hudson looked just like it's S scale brother, complete with white-wall driver tires.  The other American Flyer HO loco model I'm familiar with was a Pennsy B-6 0-6-0 switcher.  I had one for a while once - it had a piston assembly in the tender to make it go "choo-choo".  Not sure if the Hudson had the same thing.

ACY

My American Flyer HO loco is a Hudson, if I happen across it sometime I can take a photo.

lonesomewhistle

I have the American Flyer Silver Streak that I purchased with my paper route money when I was 12 years old. This set is almost 60 years old.

Johnson Bar Jeff

I still have my HO American Flyer Northern Pacific streamlined passenger set.