News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Marklin track

Started by theCB, May 01, 2011, 11:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theCB

Hey I've always wondered what are those teeth in marklin tracks for?

Doneldon

CB-

Easy! They're for chewing litttle pieces of our layouts so details disappear and mysterious little problems like derailmants and short circuits happen so we have reasons to spend hours and hours with our trains even when they don't work.

-- D

Woody Elmore

The "teeth" serve as a third rail - just like three rail "O"gauge traqins.  Marklin HO is a well made line of European trains. If you see a layout with Marklin track, you never notice the little nubs sticking up.

ebtnut

Note a couple of things - Marklin trains use AC power, just like Lionel, so UK and U.S. trains won't operate on it.  Also, Marklin uses the NEM wheel and track standards, which are not really compatible with NMRA standards, either. 

Doneldon

CB-

Woody gave you the real answer. The Marklin track with the bubs is analogous to the Gargraves O-scale track. I was trying, with an apparently singular lack of success, to be cute. It happens to me all the time.
                                                                                                                                     -- D

theCB

I really love marklin trains but they are expensive. Can Marklin trains go on normal track? Or if I buy a marklin set I have to go marklin all the way?

ACY

Marklin locomotives only run on Marklin track, although if you do some work you can convert some of your rolling stock. But the locomotive would require major changes to adapt them to run on non-Marklin track. They depend on the middle rail to run and cannot run without it (unmodified).

theCB

Quote from: ACY on May 02, 2011, 05:25:22 PM
Marklin locomotives only run on Marklin track, although if you do some work you can convert some of your rolling stock. But the locomotive would require major changes to adapt them to run on non-Marklin track. They depend on the middle rail to run and cannot run without it (unmodified).

What about non-Marklin trains on marklin track?

Jim Banner

If modified by adding a center rail pickup, you can run two-rail trains on three rails.  The normal two rails are both tied together to act as the current return.  Three rail operation makes wiring return loops, wyes, and turntables a non-issue.  It is easier to modify two rail trains to run on Marklin track than it is to modify them to run on Marklin ac power.

There have been other brands of 3 rail trains in H0/00 gauge.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ebtnut

I will say again, Marklin uses AC power, not DC.  Two-rail locos are not compatible with Marklin power.

Doneldon

ebt-

You're right about the AC/DC, of course, but there's also a big problem in that three-rail
trains would create an immediate short circuit on two-rail track since their wheels would
be in contact with both poles of the two-rail DC track.
                                                                                   -- D

theCB

So I guess it's one or the other when it comes to the HO trains.
Might have to rethink my fanboyism about marklin. They are just too expensive to go exclusive.

Len

Trix makes replacement wheelsets, with an insulated wheel on one side, that allows Marklin rolling stock to operate on two rail track. Kadee NEM 362 couplers (#17 - #20) can be used to convert Marklin pieces with NEM coupler pockets to knuckle couplers.

It's also possible to modify Marklin C-track so, by adding a toggle switch, it can be changed between 2-rail DC or 3-rail AC operation.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.