News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rails to use with a bridge

Started by jsdranger, May 02, 2011, 05:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsdranger

I am running track over a Trainline(R) Bridge & Trestle Set - Kit - HO-Scale and wanted to know if the regular E-Z track can be used going over this or is there another type of track i should be using to go over it.  

The current track running across it is the track with the attached black ballast.

any tips or information on types of track to use over this type of bridge is appreciated.  or is the track i am using across this space the proper track to use.

my project is HO scale

Thanks in advance

Doneldon

jsd-

You can use the track which is on the bridge, other EZTrack or any other kind of track. Make your decision on what track is the easiest to connect and what looks best. The only possible complication with track is if the track on the bridge and the adjacent track are a different size, e.g., one is Code 100 and the other Code 83. In that case you'll need to use an adaptive rail joiner or use a Code 100 rail joiner slipped onto the Code 100 rail but slipped under the Code 83. You don't need it, but Good Luck!

-- D

Len

The 931-802 Bridge & Trestle kit is the same, except for the color plastic used, as the old Tyco Bridge & Trestle kit. I suspect Walthers ended up with the old Tyco tooling for this, and a few other pieces.

It's designed to work, and looks best, with code 100 sectional track pieces installed. Since EZ-Track uses code 100 rail, code 100 sectional track from the trestle should line right up with ground level EZ-Track if you leave out the end ramp, and possibly the first trestle.

Be aware these trestles were designed to be fastened down to a table top, not used free standing.
Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jsdranger

To Len,
I am only using the bridge and not the trestles.  i have created a mountain range that i am using this bridge to span an opening and only need the track that will run across this bridge.  Is the E-Z track that i have now, with the black ballast already attached, ok to put across the bridge or should i be using a track without ballast already attached

thanks

jsdranger

Doneldon,

I am a bit of a beginner here with trains as i have just entered the model rail road world.  when speaking of code and rail joiners amd adaptive rail joiners you have confused me a bit.  I am guessing though the code 83 and 100 is size of the track and joiners are exctly as they sound, connected 2 pieces of track together for a smooth run.

I am already using the E-Z track that came with the set i purchased and am guessing that by default it is code 100. 

Thanks for the info, i will continue my research on train dialogue

Len

If you're just using the trestle you can use a code 100 9in straight piece of sectional track for the bridge. The trestle is designed for the ties to slide under the tabs on the sides of the "walkways". If the rails don't line up with the EZ-Track, just shim the ends of the bridge a bit until they do.

The code number refers to the height of the rail, without the ties, in thousanths of an inch. "Cd" is often used as a shorthand way of writing code. So Cd83 track has rails that are 83/1000's (0.083) of an inch high. Cd100 rails are 100/1000 (0.100) inches high, and so on. It's a lot easier to ask for code 83 track instead of asking for the track with the 83/1000 inch high rails. It should be noted the code number is strictly a reference to the rail height, and has nothing to do with scales.

Adapative, or transistion, rail joiners are designed specifically for joining different code rails together. The most commonly seen is the Atlas #551 Transition Joiner for connecting Cd83 to Cd100 track. It has a slight bend in it to compensate for the 0.017in difference in rail size. That's one nice thing about Atlas Cd83 track, they add that 0.017in difference to the thickness of the ties, so the railhead lines up with their Cd100 track. Most other brands of Cd83 track have thinner ties and have to be shimmed to get the railheads aligned.

Len

jsdranger

Len,

Thanks for that information, that is extremely helpful.  I guess its back to the train store for that piece of track. 

didnt realize this would be so costly when i jumped in to this hobby.  but it is fun rewarding and fulfilling to see your creation come togeter

Len

You're welcome. And if you think this hobby is costly, check out the price of a decent set of golf clubs and green fees!! ;D

Len

jsdranger

i play golf also so i know all about that.  but you want to start talking cost, try playing hockey.  yup, i do that too

guess its time to either find a real good paying job or give up some of my not so cheap hobbies

thanks again

railsider

Steel truss bridges have ties and rails, but usually no ballast. Plate-girder or concrete bridges, on the other hand, are ofter built with ballast just like rails going across the ground.

Best way to find out is to go look at real train tracks, bridges, and whatever, and see how it's done. Then make yours look like the real thing. Take pictures if you have a digital camera, and make a reference file.

As pointed out, it's probably good to be consistent with the Code of your rails -- not just because it looks real, but to avoid bumps that derail trains.