News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Availability of 18-20 gauge wire

Started by SteamGene, June 14, 2007, 08:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

Gene;
A five-hundred foot roll of #18 THHN stranded isn't exactly the world debt; even at todays vaunted rates.  I think you will find that, foot for foot, you will pay less that way-and have it on hand for other projects.  #18 is fairly substantial for this application; especially stranded; and its uses can be  varied and sundry.  I use it for all of my pigtails to track, turnouts, etc.  from any buss I run, and will use it for my lighting loads also.  It is your money, but if it were me, I know what I would do.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

nw tom

You might give these guys a try.http://www.mcmaster.com/.  Mcmaster-Carr, I have bought form then quite a few times, their prices are reasonable. They are also a good source for screws, shrink wrap, washers, etc. Even if you don't buy from them their website is worth a look.
Tom

r.cprmier

I just checked McMaster-carr V. Electrical Wholesalers in Ct; their prices are much higher than EW for wire.  I am guessing that most local supply houses would follow suit with EW.  Check your local house-and you won't have to worry about shipping charges.

Rich
Rich

Bojangle

Gene, I had another thought about the wire.  I used to fly electric R/C planes, and installation/wiring in these small planes requires extremely flexible wire, capable of high current (20 amps or more @12 volts), and high heat. It comes in red and black, and a bit pricey, but ideal for flexible drops and jumpers. The best wire is made by Graupner-Germany.   Hobby-Lobby has the best selection.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com 
Bo

r.cprmier

Bo;
Is that that silver-alloy stuff?  I say that because silver has the highest transconductance rate of any element, 96 I believe.

Rich
Rich

nw tom

Rich,
  Thanks for the comparison between McMaster Carr and Electrical Wholesalers  I am going to check them out..
Tom

Bojangle

Rich:
No, it is copper, but the 1.5mm has 362 strands. (2.5mm has 1,000 strands.)The wire is very fine, with an  extremely flexible jacket, in fact we call it "spaghetti" wire.  I made some test leads for my DVM, great stuff.  I plan to use it on my layout for buss wires. 
Bo