Degrees of curve to run parallel track from a #6 turnout

Started by Graeme Rodgers, May 05, 2011, 04:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graeme Rodgers

I am using 35.5" and 33.25" curves to construct two parallel tracks. I am using #6 DCC turn outs and crossovers.
How many degrees of 35.5 or 32.5 curved track do I need to run a parallel track from the #6  turn out?

Jerrys HO

Try downloading Anyrail.com 's trial version it will allow you to use up to 50 pieces for free. The Bachmann track library is pretty huge and it does have what you need.
Hope this helps Jerry. P.S.the full version is $59.00 in case you decide to expand.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Graeme Rodgers

Thanks both of you. Anyrail is brilliant and easy to use. The 10 degrees is about right but Bachmann only have 6 and 12 degrees which when assembled in Anyrail gives a diverging track or a converging. Seems my solution is a cross-over or two #6 turn outs back to back. Any other ideas how to achieve this? I can see me signing up for the full use version of anyrail.

jward

you could use a short section track of the radius you wish to use, cut off at one end. you won't be able to lock the track piece to the next one on the cut end, but the rail joiners will hold the rails in alignment.

alternative: use a short section of flex track mounted on cork roadbed for the curve.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Graeme Rodgers

Great thanks. I can probably glue the roadbed of 4 degrees worth to a 6 and retain the clips and add a couple of rail joiners.

jward

you would probably be better off trimming 2 degrees off a 12 degree section, and eliminate a set of rail joints. every joint is a potential derailment.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Graeme Rodgers

Thanks for the advice. I measured the #6 turnout and it is exactly 10 degrees. By trimming I meant taking 2 degrees out of the roadbed and retaining the clips either end but one piece of rail on top.

Len

If this is a permanent layout, another option would be to use flex track on cork to create an "easement", rather than a fixed radius, between the curve and switch.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

timhar47

Welllll- if you want to try it, EZ track 18" radius curve comes in a 10 degree piece. Using RRTrak rail designer, it lines up perfect with the EZ #6  switch. The 10 degrees maybe so small that it doesnt throw too much of a problem in that its 18"r. Justa thot!