News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Question about the N Switches

Started by WantinDCC, June 29, 2007, 04:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WantinDCC

My question is what needs to be done to the standard EZ track N SCALE switches for them to be DCC friendly?

I asked once before awhile back and someone told me I have to open it up and solder some wires or make the frog live or something.... ??? It was a while ago and I just don't recall...

Anyone have the answer?

WantinDCC

Ammendment!

I thought I would add, I don't want to control the switches through the DCC system.... I will be using the standard controller that come with the switches...

So do I have to do anything other than run a buss wire?

Hunt

Quote from: WantinDCC on June 29, 2007, 04:35:32 AM
My question is what needs to be done to the standard EZ track N SCALE switches for them to be DCC friendly?
Nothing…  unless a short circuit at turnout (you are referring to them as switches) is shutting down your DCC system. Even then it could be the metal wheels of your equipment being out of gauge causing the short circuit.

It is preferable not to have powered (live) frog with DCC unless you have to have them.

I don’t have any N gauge E-Z Track turnouts to examine.
Nevertheless click  http://www.wiringfordcc.com/switches.htm

And scroll down to
INFORMATION #2-17:  What is a DCC Friendly Turnout?

Do not use DCC to power the turnout’s switch machine. Use the AC terminals of a model train DC power pack or an AC wall wart type power supply.  (9 to 15 Volts,  500m Amps or a little more). Connect per the instructions that come with the turnout.

WantinDCC

Ok, Bachmann turn-outs are power routing, and I believe that means they're "live" for which ever direction the frog is pointing.... So, does live mean no power routing and that both ends of the Y are powered at all times?

Hunt

Quote from: WantinDCC on July 01, 2007, 03:26:51 AM
Ok, Bachmann turn-outs are power routing, and I believe that means they're "live" for which ever direction the frog is pointing.... So, does live mean no power routing and that both ends of the Y are powered at all times?
Frog does no pointing. The line of the moveable rails (switch-point rails) determines the route the train will take through the turnout.

Power routing means the rails are live for the route the turnout is lined, i.e.
the route the train will take through the turnout. No power passed the frog to the other route’s rails. So this requires attention to the way the turnout is wired. The wiring requirements are covered in this article http://www.trains.com/mrr/default.aspx?c=a&id=181

Non-power routing usually means all routes are live.

WantinDCC

Hunt, thanks for the responses so far! They've been most helpful. I don't suppose you could help me out and show me on my layout where I need the power feeds and where I need to put the insulated rail joiners?

Use orange X's for the insulated joiners

Red and Black joiners for their respective lines.

I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hunt

Give it a try you can figure it out with some time and effort.  The guidance contained in the two sources I provided should be all the information needed to wire your track plan using the power-routing turnouts.

More to consider ... I suggest you,
  •   Wire for DCC. Do not use the Common Rail wiring method, which you find in most model train DC wiring books (example, general model railroad wiring books from Atlas).

•   Lay and test your track plan one loop at a time. Once a loop is working, then add the next loop or spur, get it working, then add the next. 

•   Do not use power-routing type turnouts. Even for the spurs.

If anyone would like to save the thinking process and some effort for WantinDCC and mark the track plan for him as he requests, just click on the track plan he posted for a larger view of the track plan.

WantinDCC

Hunt,
         it's not so much that I haven't went through the thinking process, I was more wanting to cross reference what I had so far. In the picture I include the green dots represent insulated rail joiners and where the red and black are located them are power feeds.

But according to your post,

QuoteDo not use power-routing type turnouts. Even for the spurs.

It sounds like I can't use my EZ track turn outs 'cause they are in fact power routed from the factory. Could you explain why I can't use the power routing type with DCC?

QuoteThe guidance contained in the two sources I provided should be all the information needed to wire your track plan using the power-routing turnouts.

Well, the first link was not all that much help due to the fact that they don't have bachmann EZ track in their list. And the article was quite complex for a beginner such as myself.... But the second link, seemed to be very helpful following the two basic rules.

1 Gap at the frog, 2 Feed from the heel/point/bottom of the "Y" end and 3 (which was unwritten) continue power on the opposite side of the frog to ensure continuity.... And that's what I did...But anyways, check out my plan and any advice on conflicts with a DCC setup would be very much appreciated by me! Thanks again for all you help so far!

Oh yeah, the pictures are clcikable and will take you to a much larger file.

Hunt

Quote from: WantinDCC on July 08, 2007, 02:40:17 AM
Hunt,
QuoteDo not use power-routing type turnouts. Even for the spurs.

It sounds like I can't use my EZ track turn outs 'cause they are in fact power routed from the factory. Could you explain why I can't use the power routing type with DCC?

You can use power-routing turnouts with DCC and I gave you the information on how to use them.

Because of their construction, power routing turnouts are usually a continuous source of poor electrical contact and shorts. I recommend with DCC you do not use power-routing turnouts as there is no need for them.

The Bachmann N-scale E-Z Track turnout has a reputation of needing much fine tuning; even then, you may not have reliable performance.

QuoteWell, the first link was not all that much help due to the fact that they don't have bachmann EZ track in their list. And the article was quite complex for a beginner ...

Perhaps with some more reading and studying you will recognize E-Z Track turnout type is covered, just not highlighted, in Wiring for DCC.

I glanced over your recent marked up layout. You do have a couple unneeded gaps (insulated rail joiners) but with power-routing turnouts the extra gaps will not hurt anything and may even help. Again, build your track plan one loop at a time and get it working. Don’t build the entire layout and then try to local any problem.