News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann dcc system

Started by odd, May 17, 2011, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odd

I am considering a Bachmann dcc controller for my lay out.
I have various brands of.... steam and diesel locomotives.I only have I locomotive that is dcc ready.
What sound decoder would be compatible with the Bachmann system and would Bachmann motor  decoders be compatible with any locomotive .
Can you give me a ball park estimate as to what I should pay to have my other locomotives fitted with the required items to utilize the dcc system?

ACY

All NMRA compliant decoders are compatible with Bachmann DCC systems. The cost of installation would vary depending on the locomotive, difficulty, and time necessary to perform the installation.

richg

There are too many possibilities to give you a specific answer. Sound decoders vary from about $50.00 up to about $150 depending on who you buy them from. Speakers  and maybe a few other parts may be needed. Having someone do it for you adds to the cost. Some locos not worth it. Some not enough room for sound.
You can get ones with factory sound on board. Bachmann does not have diesel sound yet from what I know but that will change. There are many good diesel sound locos on the market right now.
Be more specific with your question. Loco brand, type, age?
Get the Dynamis DCC if you want to stay with the Bachmann brand. More capabilities than the EZ Command.
I cannot comment on other brands of controllers here.
Look though all the Bachmann site here for info on the EZ Command and Dynamis.

Rich

jward

does the ez command support sound decoders? i know dynamis does.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Quote from: jward on May 17, 2011, 07:26:25 PM
does the ez command support sound decoders? i know dynamis does.
according to my instructions the ez command supports sound of multiple loco's as I can not be 100% sure as I do not own one yet but I am looking forward to bachmann producing some diesels with sound.

hotrainlover

I have several sound locos, and the ez-dcc system works for them all.  This includes Bachmann, Athearn, Atlas, Lionel and Inter-mountain locos.  Steam IS king, but I do have Diesels as switchers.

ACY

It does, but you cannot take full advantage of the sound decoders with the E-Z Command.

BestSnowman

The EZ-Command absolutely can support sound locomotives, there are only two caveats.

1. You can only use functions 0-9, which are where most of the sound commands
2. You can't program CVs to customize the sound profile.

If you can live with those constraints you should be fine depending on how many locomotives you want to operate at a time.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog