News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

30 degree crossing

Started by wmsuggs, May 16, 2011, 01:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmsuggs

My wife just bought me a 30 degree crossing at a yard sale bless her heart. It says that it is the center piece for a figure 8. I don't wish to use a figure 8 in my layout as I have already started building my layout. Does anyone have any ideas how to use this other than a figure 8? I am drawing a blank. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Wes

ACY

There really isn't much you can do with that crossing. If you had like a 10 degree crossing then you could do other things.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

timhar47

An EZ track 30 matches up with the EZ Standard switch as shown in the layout picture previous. An Atlas 30 also matches up with the Atlas standard snap switch, but needs the 10 degree 18"r curve added first. The action is that a two track line can have a siding start from the outer track, cross the inner track and then to siding.
The figure 8 would have to be a strange one, with extra curves to get the righe degree match, normally an 8 uses a 90, or sometimes a 60.

ACY

wmsuggs

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at some other options and will keep yall posted.

Wes

Len

Quote from: timhar47 on May 16, 2011, 06:04:15 PM
The figure 8 would have to be a strange one, with extra curves to get the righe degree match, normally an 8 uses a 90, or sometimes a 60.

A Fig-8 with a 30deg crossing is pretty straight forward. Come off each leg of the crossing with 5 full 18in radius curves. Then file the gap with a 1.5in straight with a half (15deg) 18in radius curve on each side. Viola! You now have a 30deg crossing Fig-8 that's slightly over 3ft wide by 6ft long.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

the crossing doesn't have to be used in a figure 8. nor do both routes of the crossing have to be used. you could use the crossing to represent a junction with another railroad, with the other railroad's tracks running right off the edge of the table. that way, it could be inserted anywhere you have straight track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

captain1313

I used one to cross from inside track across outer to a staging yard I added to park trains.  Everyone need at least one crossing to use that nice interlocking tower we just built.
Kevin

Joe Satnik

Len,

1. I would put the half curves directly off the crossing, which puts the curve gaps on the major compass points, allowing for future length expansion of the figure 8. 

2. Anyrail.com (free trial download, fun and powerful) puts that gap at 2.2", which is very close to those 2-1/4" straight fitters that take up space in your junk drawer. 

3. Allowing 2" from track centerline to fence, Anyrail.com gives fence-to-fence (tabletop) dimensions of 42.2" x 77.86"

4. I'll leave it up to you guys to do the conversion to fractional inches.

Jeff,

You said:  "it could be inserted anywhere you have straight track."

Well, not directly.  It's 11.93" long, where regular straights are 9" long, so you would have to adjust somewhere with fitter straights...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

joe,
i agree you would probably have to add fitter pieces to the 30 degree crossing to make it work. however, the brand of crossing was not specified. that makes all the difference in the world. the ez track crossing is almost 12 inches, the atlas snap crossing is 6" (a standard straight track length) and the standard atlas crossing is 4" other brands probably have different lengths as well......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jim Banner

John Armstrong in his book "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" had an interesting use for a small angle crossing.  When he wanted a siding to the left but lacked clearance to make the turn, he installed a right hand turnout followed by a crossing.  Here on the prairies we would call that a "farmer turn" - swing right to turn left as a way of getting large machinery around tight curves.  The turnout plus 30o crossing gave the effect of a #2 turnout.  When John graduated to track planning for the 12" to the foot boys, he actually used this in some real world applications.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Doneldon

suggs-

It seems to me that one plans a railroad, or part of one, or maybe just a siding or branch line, and then appropriate parts (track, turnouts, crossings, locos, structures, rolling stock, etc.) are used to make it work. Starting with a track component and then trying to decide how to use it is kind of getting the cart before the horse. Of course you have an additional consideration: your wife's generous and kind gift of a crossing. That, understandably, makes you want to use it somehow. But rather than just asking, "How can I use this?" you might find it easier and more useful to start with existing or planned parts of your railroad and only then ask how you can use the crossing. For example, suppose you want to add a branch line to a mine, logging operation, industry or cattle depot. Decide where you'd like to put it and then examine how the track component (the crossing) can be used to fullfil your plan.

This is just a little different from your original question but I think it will work better for you. Whatever you end up doing, have fun and be grateful for an understanding and supportive General Manager.
                                                                                                                  -- D

Len

Joe,

I don't disagree with #1, I was just doing a 'quick & dirty' to see what it took to make a Fig-8 with the EZ-Track 30deg crossing. The 1/2 curves can really go anywhere off of each leg.

I used the RR-Track software, and it came up with a 1-1/2in gap on each side between the curved legs on each side. If I get some time tomorrow I may lay it out using real track and see what it takes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.