News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

scam

Started by RAM, May 18, 2011, 11:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

I have received emails that look like you bank, credit card company or paypal.  Today I got a new kind.  It was an email from a family member.  He was over seas and needed money for an operation of another family member.  All I can say is DON'T FALL FOR THESE SCAMS.  They look so real.

Doneldon

My ISP sent out an alert about a resurgance of this kind of scam this morning. A word to the wise should be enough.

-- D

ACY

"A word to the wise isn't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. " ~Marx

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ACY on May 19, 2011, 02:06:29 AM
"A word to the wise isn't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice. " ~Marx

Karl or Groucho?

ACY

Groucho, the same guy who provided the quote for Jim Banner.

Jim Banner

If I had a nickel for every scam email I have received, I would be able to retire.  Oh, wait.  I am retired.  But if I had followed up on even one of them, I would have to work the rest of my life.

That is the scary part.  Even if 99.99% of the scam emails these crooks send out are ignored, that means 1 in 10,000 isn't.  So for every million scam emails they send out, they get about 100 hot prospects.  And if they can defraud only one tenth of those, they don't have to work for the next year or two.  Their initial investment is low, their chances of being caught are low, and their punishment if they are caught is usually pretty minor.  Their take, however, can be high to very high.  No wonder there are so many of them.  I can only hope that the good people here are never among their victims.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richg

Not only that, but many scam emails have a link attachment to see what people have in their Windowss PC or convert the PC into a Bot which becomes part of a huge Botnet which is used to send out more Spam.
It is estimated that about 80 percent of all emails are Spam. That gives you an idea on how many clueless are using PC's.
You just cannot fix IT.

Rich

termite

Yep, they're getting sneakier, got an e-mail a couple days ago from the "FBI", official seal & all. It said that a Nigerian lawyer was trying to find me, because a long lost great uncle had died and left me (his sole surviving relative) his estate valued at roughly $750,000.00. The problems with this are: 1) nobody in my family has ever been to, or came from, Nigeria. 2) Both of my parents, 2 brothers and a sister are still alive & kicking, no way i could be ANYONE'S sloe surviving heir   ::) ::) Sad too, because I could use that cash for my dream layout.

Alan

NarrowMinded

I always have great fun with the scammers I always reply asking for more info then tell them I sent the money so they make a useless trip to the money exchange, I keep them going until they stop emailing, I have also told the ones that say they have millions waiting for me that I dont have the two thousand dollars thay ask me for because the IRS has locked my accounts until I pay $100 fine. funny non have offered to send me any cash yet :'(

NM

poliss

You should never reply to these emails. This is what Hoax Slayer says about spam emails.  "By replying, you are simply letting the spammer know that you email address is active and that you actually open spam messages. This makes you a prime target, and the amount of spam you receive is likely to increase."
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/don't-reply-spam.html

railsider

Narrow-Minded's proactive approach is certainly tempting! It answers the inmost psychological need to "get that %#+!@*" and, NM says, it does seem to work. The reason that "don't even acknowledge the #@$*+s" is good advice is that not everybody has the skill and the tenacity to resist their blandishments.

Intelligent people are, strange as it seems, at considerable risk. That's because intelligent brains can consider contradictory ideas simultaneously. Which is to say, even in the face of the obvious fraud, that little tiny shred of possibility that it might be true, just this one time ... and your own secret but powerful wish to have a million dollars to build that dream layout ... is still there, and you still listen to it.

It's sort of like the notice on a piece of equipment (say, a DCC unit) that says "Do not open; no user-serviceable parts inside." If you know what you're doing, it's okay to get in there. But if you don't, you'll make a mess and ruin the unit. Or the "No Parking" sign in the space that's reserved for you ... it does apply to everybody else, but not to those who are really (not just in their own imaginations) able to qualify.

Or, as sthe old philosopher said, don't pick a fight or make a bet unless you KNOW you'll win.

Happy Rails to you...................................................

NarrowMinded

It is good advise to just delete these emails unopened, I should mention that I do this with free yahoo and gmail accounts only that I have set up[ for when  a company asks for an email, I keep my family and work business very secure with spam filters, even the one I have here sends everything to the trash file first where I review it first before opening it.

lastly I never open an attachment or link from friend or foe unless I have been advised it was being sent before hand.

NM

Doneldon

I also have a little fun with the people who cold call trying to sell things, kind of a la NarrowMinded.

My wife and I use our own last names and our telephone is listed under her name because I had a sensitive job which meant I would have been a fool to list the phone under my name. Well, that means we get the usual telephone solicitations, despite being on the do not call list, and I am addressed by my wife's last name by the people who actually have no idea who they're calling. So I say, "Hello," and they say, "Hi. How are you today Mr. Miller?" This instantly reveals them as someone who doesn't know us and who has no legitimate reason to call us. Sometimes I just hang up but other times I exclaim into the phone in my most hysterical voice, "What! You mean there's a Mr. Miller? Holy s***, buddy, I gotta get outa here. Right now!" And I hang up hard. They never call back.

NarrowMinded

Donaldon,
That is a great one to use, I can't wait till the next sells call. When I get bored and the mood strikes me I lead sale people on, asking questions like I am interested then when they try to land the "big Fish" I simply say "Oh no thanks I was just tieing you up so you couldnt bother the next guy.

I think I get it from my Dad, back in the days before caller ID when a crank caller would dial our number instead of just slamming the phone down he would mess with them until they hung up on him...

Oh well Back to installing decoders...................

poliss

The last time I got a cold call I told them I didn't have a phone but my dog did. They went quiet and then hung up. I wonder why?  ::)