how to remotely control the Atlas #4 switche installed on my code 83 layout

Started by woodspring, May 26, 2011, 12:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodspring

::) I am a newby and installed what i thought are dcc compatible Atlas # 4 switches on my 4 x 12 HO scale layout (code 83) - now that i am about to finish wiring all the bus wires and track connections i am totally unsure how all the switches can be controlled by my NEC DCC system - (so many errors - so much time  Help?)

Len

While Atlas #4 switches are "DCC compatible", they do not come with switch machines. So you'll need switch machines if you don't already have them. The Atlas switch machines are #583 ( left hand), #584 (right hand), and #64 for their under table machine that works with either. Or you can use another brand if you want, many opt for the Tortise slow-motion under table machines.

You then wire the switch machines to a DCC switch controller, which is in turn controlled by your DCC system. The NCE switch controllers can be seen at http://www.ncedcc.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=7&vmcchk=1. The Snap-It controls twin solinoid machines, like the Atlas, Bachmann, and Peco. The others are for Slo-Mo machines like the Tortise. You could also use a Digitraxx DS64, which will control up to 4 of either type. The DS64 can be controlled using hard wired DCC connection, you don't have to have Digitraxx's Loco-Net. I didn't see any EZ-Command switch controllers listed on the Product Info pages. Possibly because the decoder is built into the EZ-Track DCC switches.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

or......
you could just install and wire the switch motors like you would with dc, and use an old dc power pack to power them. much less expensive than dcc control of switch motors which requires stationary decoders in addition to the items needed for traditional control. i have used an nce system to control switch motors (running on a friend's layout) and to me they are more of a pain than they are worth.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

I think the original question had more to do with contolling switches with the OP's NCE DCC system than with Atlas switches per se. But it probably wouldn't hurt to ask in the Atlas DCC forum as well. Someone there may have additional insiight into using the NCE system to control switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.