News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yellow Gandy Dancer Hand Car

Started by pstrain, May 31, 2011, 05:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstrain

Just opened my new handcar and placed it on a test track--no action!! Doesn't move! No electric motor sounds! No smoke, thank goodness! Nothing!! Close inspection showed no "on/off" switch. What's up? Am I missing something? This is supposed to be a brand new unit. Parts list gave no clues. (No instructions in box either).

Would appreciate any thoughts/help. Thanks.

Loco Bill Canelos

PStrain,
If you bought it on Ebay, or from similar sources it is probably not new.  If you bought it from an authorized dealer take it straight back and get a replacement or your money back.  The lack of instructions is a telling clue that it is not new, all new units were packed with the iiinstructions.  The yellow handcar was in the catalog from 1991 to 1995, and went out of production long ago.  It was replaced in 1996  with a new gear system and is gray in color.   Anything other than the gray is definitely an early model, best used as a decoration rather than for running.

Take it back!!

Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

The current catalog also shows a yellow one along with the grey.

on30gn15

Quote from: mickeykelley on June 05, 2011, 10:39:38 AMThe current catalog also shows a yellow one along with the grey.
But it is not likely one of the 2011 version would have arrived in the mail last week -
QuoteItem coming soon.

BAC96202 by Bachmann Industries
Due Early September, 2011
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=BAC96202

And
QuoteBachmann Industries
Gandy Dancer Hand Car w/Trailer & 3 Figures - Standard DC
Yellow
Walthers Part # 160-96202
G scale, $130.00, not currently in stock at Walthers, Expected: Unknown
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-96202
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

Loco Bill Canelos

The answer I sent was based on the fact that the "new" (NOT) yellow hand car was not yet available. I guess I should have given more detail.

The new yellow handcar has a new number 96202, The old one 96201 was the same for both the gray one and the old yellow one.

The point of this is (when they do come out) that if you are buying online and want to get the new yellow one you will have to verify with the seller that it is "new in box" not removed for pictures or test run and that the box has the number 96202, and that the dealer is an authorized dealer. Warranty does not apply to items bought online from other than an authorized dealer.

Buying a handcar on line has always been a crap shoot at best, since most of them don't last very long.  If you buy online you should assume that does NOT run and bid accordingly.

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!