News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Locomotive suggestions.

Started by gunslinger473, June 30, 2007, 08:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunslinger473

Dear Bach Man,
     I you are like me you might have a "Lack" of insperation for new locomotives in Large Scale. As for me I have a "Lack" of insperation for my art work. Any way I hope this topic would help with ideas for new Large Scale locomotives. I've heard Your releasing a 1:20.3 Scale K-27, I hope you are. To start things off my suggestion for a new locomotive would be a 1:20.3 Scale K-28. Especialy the famous "Bumble Bee" scheme.(My personal favorite) Also I think an interesting concept would be a line of "Cog" engines like those used on the "Pikes Peak" cog railway and the "Mt. Washington Cog railway". So any way here are some starter thaughts and I am looking forward to other people's opinions and ideas.

bogiewuggs

One large scale locomotive that I would really like to see, and I would
buy, is the Southern Pacific narrow gauge 4-6-0.  In my opinion, engine
8, 9, or 18; with the whaleback tender; would be a hit.
It would work great with the new Bachmann SPNG boxcar and flatcar.

Ron Grau

samevans

Updated Centennials with steel cab, 'straight' stack. optional old/new domes supplied, optional oil/coal fittings for tender, extended smokebox, air brakes and 'modern' oil/electric lighting.  Many older smaller locos made it into 1930s with these upgrades.  I would put out the 2-6-0 version first as I suspect that these may have been in the majority to be upgraded in real life????

bigreds

A re-run of the CLIMAX with new metal trucks PLEASE i need one to add to the shay and heisler.
Well here is for waiting.
Reds  ;D

tac

Quote from: bigreds on July 10, 2007, 01:29:24 AMA re-run of the CLIMAX with new metal trucks PLEASE i need one to add to the shay and heisler. Well here is for waiting.
Reds  ;D

I'd second that motion - the number of times I could have sold my Climax over the last few years....thankfully it's running like a watch.  People who have never seen one just fall in love with it at the first sighting.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Wade Colyer

Tony Walsham

Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

bob kaplan

Poor Bach Man has been thru this before!!....but why not!   How about EBT's #11.  Somewhat of a small engine, one of a kind...more a less...just like the Connie.  Shorter rigid wheel base than a 2-8-0 or 2-8-2....i think!   Could be modeled as it was when it was retired and shipped somewhere in the early forties.  Give us rod fans something modern to go with the Connie.  Thanks for listening.
bob

vic

Quote from: Wade Colyer on July 10, 2007, 09:36:41 AM
How about a class A Climax?

Wade

Build one, I did and its not that tough... ;)

vic

Quote from: gunslinger473 on June 30, 2007, 08:20:46 PM
Dear Bach Man,
     I you are like me you might have a "Lack" of insperation for new locomotives in Large Scale. As for me I have a "Lack" of insperation for my art work. Any way I hope this topic would help with ideas for new Large Scale locomotives. I've heard Your releasing a 1:20.3 Scale K-27, I hope you are. To start things off my suggestion for a new locomotive would be a 1:20.3 Scale K-28. Especialy the famous "Bumble Bee" scheme.(My personal favorite) Also I think an interesting concept would be a line of "Cog" engines like those used on the "Pikes Peak" cog railway and the "Mt. Washington Cog railway". So any way here are some starter thaughts and I am looking forward to other people's opinions and ideas.

All the K's have been avalaible for a while now, as has the C16 BumbleBee, its just they are very very expensive finescale brass models a that cost as much as a used car. :o

As for affordable models...Bmann will be issueing a 1/20 scale K27 sometime before the end of the decade, and thats not that far off ya know.

Personally I would like to see a different small engine being offered, the 1/20 Porter just didnt do anything for me as I already have 2 of the earlier Porters, maybe a 1/20 scale 0-6-0T, 2-6-0T or 2-6-2T tank engine based on the Indy would get my blood up, but so far I feel like us small layout types have been getting shortchanged in favor of the "bigger is better" crowd

As for a Class A Climax, I really do not know why we havent seen one yet?
Afterall the same trucks from the Class B Climax could heve been used, and Bmann could have issued both open cab or enclosed cab versions or a vertical boilered version all using the same drivetrain...

I got dam sick and tired of waiting to see what bones we would get tossed and invariably being disappointed year after year that I began building my own geared engine models! I'm up to geared creature #6 with enough stuff to build one more! Probably an enclosed Class A this time, maybe a vertical boilered one at that ;D

Kevin Strong

This gets kicked around from time to time, and typically I'm fairly faitful in lobbying for EBT's #12. So, I'll continue to lobby for that first.

However, the discussion about other prototypes has gotten me thinking that perhaps another good candidate would be something like the aforementioned SPNG 10-wheelers, or perhaps something like C&S #9, which is a medium sized mogul. I know it's similar to the LGB mogul, but when properly scaled at 1:20, I think it would be different enough to appeal to a good number of folks, and more importantly, fairly easy to adapt to 2-6-0s that ran on a large number of railroads.

Later,

K

CCSII

A Spectrum C&S #9 would have the advantage of all of that great detailing that Spectrum locos have. I die every time I see an LBG C&S mogul on ebay going for $500 or more, come on Bachmann!

Cascade Northern

A better 2-4-2T or a 2-6-2T would be great to have.  A second option would be a 2-6-6-2 Tank and/or Tender logging Mallet.

Jack Mette

:-X
Dear Mr. Bach Man and All,
Greetings from Roswell, New Mexico!
Today, July 18, 2007, I placed an order for the SP narrow gague box car #88096. It looks great in the web photos.
Maybe, God willing, next month I plan to order the SP flat car.
I would like to add my  $.02's worth and suggest an SP whale back loco and caboose or maybe a comb. car.
I plan to build a 6'X 15' X 7' shelf layout on our new front poarch. How wide would you suggest the shelf be to make the quarter curves? Would 2' be wide enough? or maybe 30"? I know 2' would be the cheapest but I thought I had better ask the experts.
I have had trouble attempting to post but it was worth it to see your new forum. Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Jack Mette

ryeguyisme

I'd like to see some standard gauge steam :D