Main Menu

Large Scale Locomotive suggestions.

Started by gunslinger473, June 30, 2007, 08:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryB

Quote from: ryeguyisme on July 18, 2007, 07:32:49 PM
I'd like to see some standard gauge steam :D
ME TOO!

A standard gauge 2-6-0, 2-6-2 or small 2-8-0 in 1:20.3 (F) scale running on 70.6mm (2.78") gauge track would be great!! Take a look at Sierra RR #28. For anyone not familiar, it's the 2-8-0 shown on the turntable (behind Christian Spencer) in the lead-in to the PBS program "Tracks Ahead". SRR #28 is a great example of Western U.S. SG shortline steam power. In case measuring (or recording the sound) is necessary, it's still available (and in operation) at the California State Railroad Museum's Railtown 1897 in Jamestown, CA.

Not being selfish, an F scale standard gauge logging Prairie (2-6-2) would also work just fine.

BTW, plastic tie strips for 70.6mm gauge track (using code 250 rail) are available from Iron Creek Shops. He also has dual (45mm & 70.6mm) gauge strips available. Great way to show the contrast between SG & NG.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

new G

lrparks & others
jeese guys I certainly didn't mean to insult anyone or ruffle your feathers.
As I said before I have never modeled in G scale RR and after some of the nasty and mundane remarks  from some of you guys I don't think that I will continue  participating in a forum where new ideas seem to make certain people  threatened, you have made me aware of certain other problems that I will have to try and over come in my endeavor, however necessity is the mother of invention and some of the greates inventenions and technilogical advances were after all thought of by ordinary people and not high paid consultants and engineers, anyway good luck with your endeavors and this forum, as I will no longer be participating.

JerryB

new G:

I'm confused by your notice of abandonment. What does it have to do with this thread "Large Scale Locomotive Suggestions"? Neither you nor irparks have posted to this thread.

I would politely suggest that you're pretty sensitive if you're somehow offended by a thread that you haven't participated in nor that has even mentioned your name. Take a few deep breaths or you're liable to hurt yourself!! :) :) :)

BTW, real geniuses usually hang in, just to show all the nay-sayers what can really be done!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

tlnibert

I would like to see a 1890 Rogers.
tom

gunslinger473

An 1890 Roges! That would be awsome as it is one of my favorite SG engines.

Wade Colyer

Hi again all:

Some years back FED ( Far East Dist. ) offered plain jane brass HO 4-4-0's and 2-6-0's in 1890 or 1910 styles. Say four engines with an assortment of stacks, headlights, fuel loads and such painted but unlettered. Something like this in standard 1:22.5 scale like the Annie which would go around R1 curves would be a welcome item.

I know you can't give out production numbers but are the painted, unlettered engines a better seller than the lettered ones?

Wade

Lee Carlson

As Bachmann hasn't been very successful in keeping up with its
1:20.3 narrow gauge manufacturing and sales, adding yet another
gauge seems to be counterproductive.

Lee Carlson
Lee Carlson
President,
NYS&W -- Niantic, Yantic, Scantic & Willimantic Traction Co.

scottychaos

well..it wouldnt be a different gauge, it would be a different scale..  ;)
gauge would be the same.
but I agree..anything new in 1/22.5 scale would be pointless..

Scot

Wade Colyer

Hi:

When I said standard, I ment not Spectrum. It would still be Gauge 1. 

Wade

samevans

Quote from: new G on July 19, 2007, 07:51:00 PM
lrparks & others
As I said before I have never modeled in G scale RR and after some of the nasty and mundane remarks  from some of you guys I don't think that I will continue  participating in a forum where new ideas seem to make certain people  threatened

This seems to relate to the thread " Topic: Question for Tony or anyone else on RCS"  on the Large Forum.  Mr Parks asked after RC systems & New G reckoned he was going to make a system which ran the onboard (RX) part  from track power.  As it happens Mr Parks was enquiring in the context of battery power; others did raise questions about the proposal New G had aired.  New G seems to be affronted that his Big Idea was not greeted with rapture.  IIRC something like his system has been proposed before but AFAIK it has never made it into commercial production, possibly because of the success of DCC?

Sam E

DRGW481

I'll tell you what, I for one would LOVE to have a Large scale K-28 in the BB paint!

samevans

Quote from: samevans on August 01, 2007, 01:32:56 PM
Quote from: new G on July 19, 2007, 07:51:00 PM
lrparks & others
As I said before I have never modeled in G scale RR and after some of the nasty and mundane remarks  from some of you guys I don't think that I will continue  participating in a forum where new ideas seem to make certain people  threatened

This seems to relate to the thread " Topic: Question for Tony or anyone else on RCS"  on the Large Forum.  Mr Parks asked after RC systems & New G reckoned he was going to make a system which ran the onboard (RX) part  from track power.  As it happens Mr Parks was enquiring in the context of battery power; others did raise questions about the proposal New G had aired.  New G seems to be affronted that his Big Idea was not greeted with rapture.  IIRC something like his system has been proposed before but AFAIK it has never made it into commercial production, possibly because of the success of DCC?

Sam E

Someone seems to have hijacked my ID.  I did not write this post.  The only topic I have posted on in recent times is the Davenport ic loco.

Sam E

Joe Satnik

Dear Sam,

How long ago is recent?  The post you are quoting is almost 2 years old.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Casey_Jones

I would love to see some DSP Locos like a Mason Bogie and some Cooke 2-6-0's and 2-8-0's

Sorry, but I love the western Stuff, C&S, DSP, RGS and even the D&S!

samevans

Quote from: Joe Satnik on May 22, 2009, 07:25:14 AM
Dear Sam,

How long ago is recent?  The post you are quoting is almost 2 years old.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

Er yes I did post it....two years ago.  It showed up yesterday as a recent reply to a posting.  Have no idea why, hence confusion.  I did not recognise it as 'recent'.  My recent posting has been about the Davenport Gas Mechanical and whether any prototype info is available, hence my confusion!!!!

Sam E