News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Locomotive suggestions.

Started by gunslinger473, June 30, 2007, 08:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagen

Quote from: Joe Satnik on May 27, 2009, 12:31:53 PM
Where are the tops of the driver wheel flanges compared to the center line of the boilers? ..
;) fun exercise that. Now I have not used a caliper or even a vague measurement other than my eyes, recollection and "trains of the world" (or somesuch).
It appears you have a take off a rather large part of the boiler to make it for gauge one and 1/24.
I bet the driving wheels will have to be inside the boiler?
Am I right?

This problem can even be seen when trying to make a scale model in any scale, the model wheels will usually be thicker and have a larger flange, so usually the solution is pushing the frames in just a bit, not visible. This is even more apparent in 1/29 and also in a bunch of LGB "standard gauge" locomotives at roughly 1/27.
Making a 1/24 model while keeping 45mm track gauge is virtually impossible for an inside framed locomotive.

Hagen

(or a loco where the driving wheels are very visible, and just next to the boiler)

Joe Satnik

Dear Hagen,

You said:

"Making a 1/24 model while keeping 45mm track gauge is virtually impossible for an inside framed locomotive."

Thanks for using your noggin.

I'd add "of a standard gauge prototype" between your words "model" and "while". 

The critical dimension is the wheel "back to back" (gauge-1 minimum = 1.567", a little under 40 mm) .

If the mid-line of the boiler (its max width) is between the wheels, its width or diameter has to be smaller than the wheel back-to-back. 

So, to make a 1:24 boiler fit between a 1:32 "back to back", you would have to shrink the boiler in the width dimension, (New!!  oval shaped boilers),

H

or shrink the boiler diameter (evenly in 2 dimensions) by a significant amount (25 percent).

o
H

(Head on view of boiler and wheels.)

25 percent shrinkage in one or 2 dimensions is a significant distortion of the prototype.   

If you have a choice (in the planning stage) why not build it correctly? (1:32 scale)

Hope this helps.

Dear CJ,

I was trying to get you to mention the advantages or strong points of 1:24 scale, which do exist. 

I can think of at least 4. 

Unfortunately, modeling standard gauge prototypes on 45 mm gauge track is not one of them.     

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

JMaurer1

I don't even want a new locomotive as much as I want the kind people at Bachmann to offer a 4-4-0 in North Pacific Coast paint...how about the Sonoma that is located in the Cal State RR Museum? Please...

Other than that, I'd like to see the SPng locomotives...they could even do Nevada County ng since at least one engine went there afterwards...

woodburner

The North Pacific Coast "Sonoma" was a standard catalog "8-18C" Baldwin, and guess what - Bachmann already has you covered.   Here's the same "8-18C" model engine with the exact same paint scheme as Sonoma:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1870

Only the cowcatcher is different - and if you find a source for those beautiful curved metal ones I'd like to know.  Otherwise, just add decals and you're all set.  The Nevada County had a nearly identical version too, Grass Valley No. 1, with the same paint scheme.     

Jim

ROBOCOP2160

If the Big Haulers were made DCC ready, I would buy several more immediately. 

I have converted a Wonderland Flyer Anniversary model to DCC - it works perfectly but was a task I won't repeat..

DCC ready please... perhaps just by pulling the nose off and inserting a decoder?

Please!!

JMaurer1

...the problem is that there are no decals availible for the Sonoma  :(

If the locos were DCC ready, it would also make it easier to convert to RC too!

bob kaplan

Just purchaswed SUMPTER VALLEY RAILWAY from Images of Rail.  Full of wonderful pictures of some engines that might make great models....if you can.....give it a look.

Gion

I'd like to stick with Large Scale, preferably 1:20.3, but I'm not into ever larger models. I would love Bachmann to enlarge some of their 0n30 stuff, like the T-boiler Shay, the 0-4-0 or 0-4-2 Porters or the 4-wheel rail cars. Small prototypes for Large Scale I say!

steamrusty

Hey all,
yeah, a t-boiler or a Gilpin-like shay - regaugable from 45 to 32mm would be nice.
steamrusty

Francois

I'd like very much a Spectrum Fn3 Garratt...

Marilyn

Heck why not the much disputed Vulcan.

Personally, I would rather see something like a ditcher or even a McGiffert.

david coates

How about Baldwin Trench Locomotives:

4-6-0T or Gas mechanical, along with the associated cars.

David Coates

Steve Stockham

If you are looking for decals to properly letter your 4-4-0 to make the Sonoma then you might want to check out Stan Ceaderleaf's website: http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html
He's done some really fantastic work!

on30francisco

I also would like if Bachmann produced large scale versions of their On30 porters. Something for us people with smaller radii than 48".