News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

119 and jupiter

Started by willy, June 14, 2011, 12:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy

are they ever  going to put dcc and sound in the american 4-4-0 jupiter and 119 trains,I really would like sound in mine but was told it cant be done, no space

Geared Steam

It can be done, I believe a forum member here (Rich) has done it. If I'm wrong Rich I apologize but remember seeing a project on a forum. Maybe I can find it and link you too it.

Geared Steam

I found a link....

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/bachmann_4-4-0/wipers/

Print it out or save it to your hard drive because this website is up and down, mostly down.

Although the instruction is mostly about adding wipers to an IHC, it shows how he was able to add a decoder by extending the height of the tender, same could hold true for the Bachmann version.

richg

Quote from: willy on June 14, 2011, 12:02:18 PM
are they ever  going to put dcc and sound in the american 4-4-0 jupiter and 119 trains,I really would like sound in mine but was told it cant be done, no space

Barely any room for sound decoder and speaker. The site link posted had a page abut adding a N scale sound decoder and oval speaker but he found out it is not practical and gave up the project. You need a high stacked cord wood pile over the small rectangular speaker and sound is not very good because of no room for a baffle. There are limitations. The motor takes up quite a lot of room.
I put a flat can motor in this loco tender and a Mantua General with a N scale non sound decoder some years ago. IHC 4-4-0 loco also.
Lead shot for more weight in the tender.

You need all wheel pick up on the tender and all driver pickup on the loco. Clean track also and powered frogs.

Rich

ACY

Basically it can be done but would be a very involved project that should only be attempted if you are 100% sure you would be able to do it. Unless you are a highly skilled and knowledgeable individual I would stick to regular DCC without any sound or place it in a car trailing the loco that would be permanently coupled.

richg

A boxcar behind the loco with a decoder and speaker with baffle would work. You would need all wheel pickup and metal wheels on the boxcar. Another project that would require some experience with DCC installs.
Decoders will no doubt shrink a little more but adequate sound will always be an issue.
The present motor in the tender drive is quite large compared to the can motor I put in mine. Smaller motors are available but cost goes up also.
I would bet on a price tag of over $200.00 if this was ever possible. Right now, the Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 with Tsunami sound is going for about $275 at Micro Mark. The Richmond loco has much better detail and running characteristics than the tender drive will ever have.

Rich

WTierce1

Quote from: richg on June 14, 2011, 05:08:00 PM
A boxcar behind the loco with a decoder and speaker with baffle would work. You would need all wheel pickup and metal wheels on the boxcar. Another project that would require some experience with DCC installs.
Decoders will no doubt shrink a little more but adequate sound will always be an issue.
The present motor in the tender drive is quite large compared to the can motor I put in mine. Smaller motors are available but cost goes up also.
I would bet on a price tag of over $200.00 if this was ever possible. Right now, the Spectrum Richmond 4-4-0 with Tsunami sound is going for about $275 at Micro Mark. The Richmond loco has much better detail and running characteristics than the tender drive will ever have.

Rich
Ive already done something like that! Ive made a video already but cant get it uploaded at the current moment. The thing is I used the MRC sounder for it but I would think that it could be applied to a standard sound decoder. You could just run the wires between the two.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

richg

Quote from: wtierce on June 15, 2011, 08:32:49 AM

Rich
Ive already done something like that! Ive made a video already but cant get it uploaded at the current moment. The thing is I used the MRC sounder for it but I would think that it could be applied to a standard sound decoder. You could just run the wires between the two.

No idea of what issue you have with the video but I use You Tube for uploading videos. I have the free account and it works quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/

Rich

WTierce1

Quote from: richg on June 15, 2011, 08:44:15 AM
Quote from: wtierce on June 15, 2011, 08:32:49 AM

Rich

No idea of what issue you have with the video but I use You Tube for uploading videos. I have the free account and it works quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/

Rich
Sorry I should have been more clear. I don't have problems with the internet but with my computer itself. I already have many You Tube vids so its not that.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad