News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam Turbine S-2

Started by WTierce1, June 18, 2011, 10:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WTierce1

I know I have already posted something about this. I still think the PRR S-2 6-8-6 would be a god locomotive to produce. I know that it was an experimental locomotive and that only 1 was built so don't go there. I have learned that this was a successful model in O gauge and that the brass HO scale models were sellouts in all brands and everyone knows how expensive those are. I think that it would be a very good seller based on that. Besides that, the Williams line already make an O gauge version of it. I have more HO scale than other scales and HO is known as the most popular scale. Also, Bachmann would do a very good job of making it I'm sure and it would more than likely be at an affordable price too. The loco has some advantages like less moving parts. (A.K.A - The coupling rods) I hope to get some input from The Bach-Man. So what do y'all think?
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

ACY

The Bach-man will either not post or relay your suggestion, but at any rate it won't be made at least in the next 5 years.

jward

broadway limited would probably be the ones who'd make it, they have done alot of models related to the pennsylvania rr.  if so, expect to pay brass prices for it.

as for the williams o scale model, i believe williams reproduces some of the older lionel stuff. if so, their model of the s2 turbine dates to when it was new, and possibly the prototype of a fleet of similar locomotives. obviously that never came to pass.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WTierce1

Quote from: jward on June 18, 2011, 11:37:53 AM
broadway limited would probably be the ones who'd make it, they have done alot of models related to the pennsylvania rr.  if so, expect to pay brass prices for it.

as for the williams o scale model, i believe williams reproduces some of the older lionel stuff. if so, their model of the s2 turbine dates to when it was new, and possibly the prototype of a fleet of similar locomotives. obviously that never came to pass.

As a matter of fact I got the info for backing me up from the Broadway-Limited forum kind of by accident.

ebtnut

The fundamental issue with doing a loco like the S-2 is that it was a one-of-a-kind loco that ran only on the PRR.  Bachmann in general looks at mass production of models to help curb costs, and this means choosing locos that either have a proven demand (like the PRR K-4) or that can be painted up for a variety of different roads (and be suitable for even more, i.e., the USRA 2-10-2, the Baldwin 4-4-0, the light USRA Mountain). 

Doneldon

wt-

Your point about the "O" 6-8-6 being a successful item is a valid one. Most people don't model the Pennsy, NKP, NYC, N&S, C&O, or SP, yet K-4s's, Nickel Plate Berks, Dreyfuss Hudsons, Js, Alleghenies, Cab Forwards and GS Daylights are found on lots and lots of layouts. All of them have been made by several manufacturers over the years, at widely varying price points. It's clear to me that there is a market for such iconic locomotives. It's true that those other locos were successful engines which were made in large numbers, but I think the S-2, or the even S-1 for that matter, could probably be a commercial success. Or at least come close enough that the question would be studied in depth. Of course, those other locos had enough in common with other steamers that every component doesn't have to made from whole cloth. Maybe that's the difference. I do know that I'd buy either of the PRR S locos.
                                                                                 -- D

WTierce1

Quote from: Doneldon on June 21, 2011, 12:10:30 AM
wt-

Your point about the "O" 6-8-6 being a successful item is a valid one. Most people don't model the Pennsy, NKP, NYC, N&S, C&O, or SP, yet K-4s's, Nickel Plate Berks, Dreyfuss Hudsons, Js, Alleghenies, Cab Forwards and GS Daylights are found on lots and lots of layouts. All of them have been made by several manufacturers over the years, at widely varying price points. It's clear to me that there is a market for such iconic locomotives. It's true that those other locos were successful engines which were made in large numbers, but I think the S-2, or the even S-1 for that matter, could probably be a commercial success. Or at least come close enough that the question would be studied in depth. Of course, those other locos had enough in common with other steamers that every component doesn't have to made from whole cloth. Maybe that's the difference. I do know that I'd buy either of the PRR S locos.
                                                                                 -- D

Thanks for that comment!

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The comparison of the three rail and HO Scale markets does not hold up. Many, if not most three railers mix roadnames, and the Turbine is an iconic loco in their circles (and ovals! Heh, heh, heh...).
In HO there is less mixing of roads, and, unlike the PRR K-4, which had hundreds of cab numbers and many lettering and paint styles, there was only one Turbine. It's unlikely that an HO modeler would run multiples on the layout.
I do like them, though!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ACY

And there you have it folks... Well wtierce, looks like for the time being, you're out of luck just like predicted. If you are set on having one, why don't you foot the bill to have a the molds created and then you can have your loco.

Doneldon

Bach-mann-

Thanks for the true skinny on the PRR turbine. I didn't realize how widespread the practice of mixing road names is on three rails, or that it is so escewed by HO modelers. I must add, however, that your pun, while geometrically clever, does nothing to ease the pain of knowing we'll never see either of the Pennsy's 6-8-6 behemoths in an affordable package. Of any shape.
                                                                                -- D

WTierce1

Quote from: the Bach-man on June 21, 2011, 11:16:23 PM
Dear All,
The comparison of the three rail and HO Scale markets does not hold up. Many, if not most three railers mix roadnames, and the Turbine is an iconic loco in their circles (and ovals! Heh, heh, heh...).
In HO there is less mixing of roads, and, unlike the PRR K-4, which had hundreds of cab numbers and many lettering and paint styles, there was only one Turbine. It's unlikely that an HO modeler would run multiples on the layout.
I do like them, though!
Have fun!
the Bach-man
Thanks for the responce Bach-Man!

Quote from: ACY on June 21, 2011, 11:40:15 PM
And there you have it folks... Well wtierce, looks like for the time being, you're out of luck just like predicted. If you are set on having one, why don't you foot the bill to have a the molds created and then you can have your loco.
and ACY, do you have anything nice two say about this??? If you dont have anything nice to say about my posts dont say it!

ACY

I believe this post is about one year after the first time you asked if they would make an S-2 and everyone told you it wouldn't be made. What has changed since then that would warrant its production? It is still a niche locomotive, and niche locos are not the type of locos that Bachmann makes. If you save up, eventually you can buy a brass model, because niche locos are almost exclusively sold in brass or for brass prices.

WTierce1

Quote from: ACY on June 22, 2011, 01:59:48 PM
I believe this post is about one year after the first time you asked if they would make an S-2 and everyone told you it wouldn't be made. What has changed since then that would warrant its production? It is still a niche locomotive, and niche locos are not the type of locos that Bachmann makes. If you save up, eventually you can buy a brass model, because niche locos are almost exclusively sold in brass or for brass prices.
I dont want a locomotive that I have to paint and put the decoder in myself. I mean I'm only 13!
I think I will just lock this topic because it isn't going anywhere. BTW- Thanks Bach-Man!