News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

# 773 Hudson

Started by 671, June 19, 2011, 01:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am considering purchasing the WbyB Golden Memories # 773 Scale Hudson. In the Williams description of the Loco it states that it needs 042 curves minimum. Does any one have experience with this Loco; I am very interested in knowing if it could definitely navigate 031 curves.

I have some 031 curves on my layout, I could change the track sizing at a great effort. If the Loco can handle this size curve even if it has a large overhang that would be OK. If it is physically impossible for this Loco to handle that size turn, I would like to know in advance of purchasing the 773.

Would anyone like to review the 773? How does it pull, how smooth is it's operation, smoke, sound, etc.

Again, thank you in advance,

DominicMazoch

I have seen the model, but have not run one.  Looks nice!

Mike_AA9ZY

Interesting thread!

I had assumed that all of the Golden Memories engines would work on O-31 curves. Silly me.

rtraincollector

Believe bachmann and even williams did state that all trains will work on O-31 unless otherwise stated meaning it probably needs the O-42 Sorry

phillyreading

The engine in question may need 042 track size for use with most switches, so sometimes a company will designate it 042 or 031 because of switch issues or higher speed derailments may be common on 031 curved track.

My Williams GP-9's won't go through a Lionel 027 switch in the curved part because it hits the switch housing.

Lee F.

Hi Everyone,
                 I just received my brand new #773 W by B  loco from Wholesale Trains ( On Sale  $259.99 w/ free shipping ). It looks GREAT !
             It has Spoked Drivers, Fire box glow, Two cow catchers...one has a coupling for double heading, Seuthe smoke unit #5 size, Larger motor than the 671,2056 and Berkshires. The motor is horizontal mounted with drive shaft to a transmission box driving the center drive wheels, drive force is transferred to the other drivers via the drive shaft rods.
             The Loco is tethered to the Tender vie a Four wired plug. This is for motor control. The Tender is a Berkshire tender ( Heavy Cast ). The four wires appear to be a little stiff. I needed to pull some of the extra wire from the Loco to create a upward loop in the wire to allow for flexing. Sound is the standard "True Blast"
              The Loco/Tender combo can handle 031 curves, the Loco cab swings quite a bit on this size curve. I do not know how it would handle an 031 switch. My guess is that the switch motor box might need to be mounted to the inside of the curve section of the switch.
               The Loco is a smooth runner, it has high speed at low power settings. I have it pulling five W by B Madison Car at eight volts power setting. Ten volt settings seems a little too fast. I will add a few diodes in series to slow it down.
                All in all     a very nice loco  .......671

SantaFe158

I bought the pre-Bachmann Williams 773 at a train show early this year.  It's a great engine and can pull a lot and looks good.  The only downside I found was the gearing, it runs too fast with minimal power applied.  I decided to upgrade it a bit and replaced the reverse board with an ERR cruise commander which gives it a much slower running speed (it'll run fast too if you want) and replaced the True-Blast sounds with an ERR Railsounds Commander.  I love this locomotive even more now.  You can't really get a scale sized hudson with TMCC and railsounds for under $500, but I did that with the Williams one.

Video
Part One (cruise commander, no sound):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK06WdGmtPw&feature=related
Part Two (Sound and CC):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k621Vhqm_GQ

tomplatten

All of my pre-Bachmann and WbB locomotives tend to run fast with Lionel conventional transformers. My  mezzanine loop line hanging down in my garage uses a Variac through a heavy transformer. All the Bachmann trains are smoother and start more slowly from the variac. I guess it has more windings but I have poked into it!