News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HHP-8 in MARC Colors

Started by mlrr, June 28, 2011, 09:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlrr

Here's a recently finished project. Something for the NEC portable layout perhaps?  I thought it would be appropriate to post here seeing as how Bachmann's release of the HHP-8 made this possible.

A special thanks to a friend of mine for his assistance with the project. I'm proud to say we've been able to go back-and-forth assisting one another with various kitbashing and painting projects. He did an excellent job with his model! When doing a project like this, I try not to replicate the number that the person assisting me modeled out of my own personal sign of respect (except in the case when the person models all numbers on the prototype OR happened to model the same number that I wanted to model for sentimental/personal reasons, lol)

I used PolyScale Stainless Steel for the silver as I felt it was the best mix. It had the stainless steel feel but also had a bit of the Floquil Platinum Mist feel to it as well. The future floor polish did not take away from the luster (something I had been nervous about).

I used straight PolyScale D&H blue and trim film for the orange stripes. The MARC markings came from a friend of mine that had a few leftover custom decals. The blue numbers came from a CSX set but it only has two "1"s in the set which is kind of a bummer.

Is there an official reason why Bachmann has not run this particular paint scheme with its HHPs?  General thought in the community (amongst consumers anyway) is that more roadnames/colors are better for a particular product in terms of sales.
~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com

jonathan

Very nice work!

I hope you take it as a compliment when I say your paint job appears darn near a factory finish.

Regards,

Jonathan

Michigan Railfan

That's an amazing engine you got there. The paint (from what I can see in the pictures) is flawless. Excellent work  ;)

Doneldon

ml-

I don't know what you do or did for a living but if
it isn't painting you got into the wrong field. Your
loco has an absolutely beautiful paint job. I envy
you and it!
                          -- D

Amtrak X995

Hi

there`s another Marc outside in Germany....
enjoy the pic

kind regards

Amtrak X995

mlrr

Quote from: Amtrak X995 on June 29, 2011, 02:09:58 PM
Hi

there`s another Marc outside in Germany....
enjoy the pic

My inspiration and final nudge for the project ;)  (I forgot what S/N you go by on this forum so I generalized my credit in my initial post.  You'll note I credited you by name in the Atlas forum :))
~Kyle

rodmason67

Just back in the hobby after about 30 years.  I had never heard of trim film until
I saw your beautiful engine.  I found it on Micro scale website.  How is it applied?
rod

mlrr

Hi rodmason67,

Welcome back to the hobby!  Thanks for the compliment!

Trim film works like any other decal.  It comes in a solid sheet.  You cut strips to the width you want using a straight edge and an exacto-knife.  Then you apply it like you would any other decal.
~Kyle

Guilford Guy

That is very flashy! I remember seeing the prototypes on a tour of the Wilmington shops (I assume Amtrak does most of the work on MARC's electric fleet). This may just inspire me to get back to work on a half dozen outstanding MBTA projects that I've paused from. Kudos to you both on an excellent finished product!
Alex