News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale Porter Conversion

Started by Bucksco, July 04, 2011, 01:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksco

Did this for a friend. Started with an old LGB Porter loco (Picture 1) and converted it to something a bit more realistic doing heavy mods to the loco and kitbashing an 800 Gallon tender using Bachmann parts.

NarrowMinded

Your just being mean now! tell me when bachmann is going to produce this so I can get one. ;D

That is beautiful, I wish I had the patients to do work like that.

I own more Porters then anything else, due to space issues I have to stick with tight curves. but it's all good because I love the little Porters.

NM-Jeff

on30gn15

Man if that don't look just like it ought to be the loco factory's showroom demo model  8)
When all esle fials, go run trains
Screw the Rivets, I'm building for Atmosphere!
later, Forrest

NarrowMinded

I keep looking at this and think an old style g scale porter would make a good base to start with.

Loco Bill Canelos

Wow!!

great work, certainly worth moving to production status!

I do know the engineer quite well, his brother works on my outfit!! ;D
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

norman

Dear Bachmann Yardmaster:

Your LGB Porter detailed with Bachmann parts is exactly the type of future locos I would like to see introduced by Bachmann with real brass steam cylinders and fancy pin striping as per the Bachmann 4-4-0 E&P loco.

The prototype photo shows just how attractive these small Porter locos are.

The LGB product have a solid motor block with no daylight under the boiler. That detracts from the scale appearance of the model.

The LGB 0-4-2 Chloe and a 2-4-4T companion would be excellent locos for Bachmann to produce as would similar attractive Porter locos.

We are not going to see future LGB Chloes produced. Real brass handrails and real brass domes are more attractive than plastic "brass".

Please.... no more ugly saddle tank locos.

Thank you
Norman

NarrowMinded

Ah See what ya Did, I like that loco so much I started cutting a porter apart,

And so it begins, Thanks for the idea I needed another project ;D

I may leave the boiler as is, though moving the cab forward would make it closer to the prototype, the stack and headlight still need work... if my spectrum 2-6-0 wasn't so pretty it would loose its stack and headlight for this they are a better fit.

Does the parts department have stacks and headlight Assemblies for the 2-6-0 mogul?

I'll have to give them a call,  when I get this done I'll steal the chassis from a wood side dump ore car and start the tender.

NM-Jeff