News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new

Started by fyzal, July 07, 2011, 03:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyzal

Gentlemen I'm new to this hobby I'm a modeler and graphic artist and I have tons of questions please be patient with me:-)

1.)First I'll give it a try,anytime soon my HO bachmann union pacific #4432 w/ smoke will arrive,product description says its DCC Compatibility: DCC Compatible - No socket or plug
     Q: can i put sounds on this train?
2.)Tracks
     Q: even if i have a bachmann train can i use a different brand of tracks?
     Q: if my track is the ez tracks is it possible to connect other brand of tracks?

hope you can help me to this new found hobby..appreciate it!

jonathan

Welcome Fyzal!  Hope you find the hobby as enjoyable as I do.

1.  The UP #4432 is a small 0-6-0 switcher with a SMALL slopeback tender.  This locomotive does not come with DCC.  If you are indeed a beginner, this would be a very tough locomotive to cut your teeth on.  Installing sound would be a challenge for an experienced DCC guy.  Bachmann does sell a few versions of the 0-6-0 with DCC already, but not sound.  Don't know about a UP version, though.  The Prairie version (2-6-2) does come with a large enough tender, that sound may be possible.  Don't know of anyone who has done it, yet.  As you are already a modeler, perhaps dealing with small spaces and small tools will be second nature.

2.  Any HO Scale track will work with Bachmann trains.

4.  Yes. it is fairly easy to connect other brands of track to your EZ track.  You will have to raise the level of the other track, usually done with cork roadbed or similar type products.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new found passtime.  It's addicting.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

jonathan has pretty much covered your basic questions.

i would like to point out that if you do convert your 0-6-0 to dcc it would be best if you didn't use the smoke unit on it. dcc trains are much more finicky about clean track than traditional dc ones. anybody who's ever had a railroad around a smoker can tell you that for some reason smoke tends to be attracted to the metal rails on the track, and will give you an oily crud buildup that needs to be cleaned regularly. this is one reason many model rails don't permit smoking in the train room.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Your locomotive is a poor candidate for DCC and sound because it would require removal of the smoke unit, and then wiring the tender for pickup, installing a harness between the tender and the locomotive, adding metal wheels and a means of contact to the tender, drilling out holes in the bottom of the tender, and most likely using a different tender if you want to fit a speaker and baffle.  
If you want a locomotive with sound a good choice is the Bachmann Spectrum or new standard line 2-8-0 Consolidation, the tender has an 8 pin socket with plenty of room for sound, the already has pickup and comes with a harness. All you need to do is use a DCC sound decoder with 8-pin plug and install the speaker.

fyzal

thanks guys! well I think it was a bad choice for a first engine and dreaming of putting sounds to it,but i have to enjoy my first engine with out the sounds anyways:-) but definitely i will get that spectrum when I get paid from commissions as modeler.thank again!

next time i will ask you about planning the layouts

richg

Below is a good link to DCC and sound. There is a lot to DCC for non sound and sound decoders plus locos that come with both types of decoders. Do a bunch of study on this subject as there are Gotchas. Stepping from DC, Analog, to, DCC, Digital is a big step as so much more can be done with DCC. Think computers. Decoders have a lot of digital stuff in them.
I am glad you asked first before buying. Some do not and buy what will be difficult to modify.

Below are some links to look through. Take your time.

http://www.mrdccu.com/  There is a lot in curriculum link.

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nswmn2/DCC.htm

Yeah, it might overwhelm you at first.

Layout wiring can be simple or complex depending on what you want. My layout, I disconnected the DC power pack and plugged in my NCE Powr Cab DCC controller and was running DCC locos in a few minutes.

http://www.wiringfordcc.com/track.htm

Store the links in Favorites for future use.

Rich

Doneldon

fyz-

I'm sorry that everyone had to be negative about your DCC/sound conversion on your 0-6-0 but sometimes good, solid information is more helpful than make nice information which leads you to a frustrating experience. So I won't pile on but will limit myself to welcoming you to model railroading. I know you'll find out quickly that it's a hobby with many, many skill sets and you can certainly find some aspects of the hobby you enjoy. And it's nice that there are quickie work, short cuts and money talks ways to get the less enjoyable parts done. I'm lucky in that I like the variety of things that go into model railroading but even I am finding that my fingers are getting bigger and the parts are getting smaller the older I get. Once again, Welcome aboard!
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on July 07, 2011, 03:47:09 PM
fyz-

I'm sorry that everyone had to be negative about your DCC/sound conversion on your 0-6-0 but sometimes good, solid information is more helpful than make nice information which leads you to a frustrating experience. So I won't pile on but will limit myself to welcoming you to model railroading. I know you'll find out quickly that it's a hobby with many, many skill sets and you can certainly find some aspects of the hobby you enjoy. And it's nice that there are quickie work, short cuts and money talks ways to get the less enjoyable parts done. I'm lucky in that I like the variety of things that go into model railroading but even I am finding that my fingers are getting bigger and the parts are getting smaller the older I get. Once again, Welcome aboard!
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

People where not being negative, just realistic. There are limitations. The standard 0-6-0 with tender is just not a loco that could have sound at this time.
I have taken the tender from this loco and put a sound decoder and 14mm x 25mm speaker into it but had to install all metal wheels with pickups and a two wire connector between the loco and the tender. Had to add lead shot in the tender for weight. I had to drill a bunch of small holes in the bottom of the tender for the speaker. The loco is a Mantua 0-6-0. with pickups on all the drivers. The loco has its own non sound decoder.

A few have put DCC sound into the Spectrum 0-6-0T but it is quite a challenge. They had previous DCC experience. That loco has better pickups but the ? inch diameter speaker they use gives limited sound, especially for lower frequencies.

Rich

Doneldon

Rich-

To be clear, I wasn't being critical with my comment about negative.
In this case, fyz needed to be discouraged from trying something which
would even challenge an experienced model rail. I was just trying to
soften the blow.
                                          -- D

fyzal

guys I really appreciate your comments and replies,I just realize that i made a bad choice for a first engine and putting sound on it,but still I still like my first train.Because of your very informative information the next time I know what steam train to buy:-) 

As of now I will gather items for decorating a scenery maybe from woodland scenic or Do it myself and plan a simple layout since I dont the luxury of space.

By the way do you guys own a BAHCMANN Ho DEWITT CLINTON?any review? I also like it because its unique and cute:-) of course I'm not dreaming to put sound on it!hahahaha!!:-)

I really appreciate your help and being honest about what to do or not...

jonathan

The Dewitt Clinton set is more of a display type model.  It's very neat, and a nice piece of history to complete a collection.  It's not a model you would want to run on a regular basis.  However, with the model on display, you would gain a power pack (multiple uses) and some extra track.

Just an opinion...

On a side note:  if you really want to add your own sound to a locomotive, the perfect loco to start with is a 2-8-4 berkshire.  The tender has a preformed spot for a 1" speaker.  The whole project would be almost plug-and-play... Almost.  You would learn a great deal, and have a more than reasonable chance of success your first time out. The locomotive runs like a dream, and they can be had for reasonable prices at train shows.  On occasion, I have seen some go for less than $100.  Amazing for such a great loco.

Don't give up on the 0-6-0.  I think it can be done.  I will probably be trying it in the next few months.  Will post the project when I'm ready to start.

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

The Dewitt Clinton is just a display loco, all the ones like it are not good for anything but display pieces.
Jonathan, as for the 0-6-0, it can be done if you really want to put a lot of effort into it and if you have a good amount of experience, but without any experience it would probably not turn out well.

fyzal

Yup the dewitt clinton is much more for display,but imagine it running on a modern layout:-) about my 0-6-0 I'm glad that there is hope putting dcc or sound on it.But as of now I'm focusing on saving money for the spectrum line. Since there is no local hobbyshops here in Philippines that sell model trains..so I have to buy it online.

fyzal

how long will the motor of the train will last before it retire?

fyzal

My Aunt is buying me a gift and it's the Ho spectrum dcc on board usra 2-10-2,so is this a good engine guys? and can i put sound on it?