News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

new

Started by fyzal, July 07, 2011, 03:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doneldon

fyzal-

I've heard generally good things about the Bachmann Santa Fe and that jibes with my experience. The one thing you might want to watch is whether your curves can handle the loco or, more precisely, whether the 2-10-2 can handle the curves. A ten-coupled locomotive has a very long rigid wheelbase so tight curves can invite problems. Mine run fine down to 22" radius; I haven't attempted anything less than that.

The other consideration is what such a long loco looks like on sharp curves. What I mean is that many locos can negotiate fairly tight curves successfully but they look awful doing so. It's usually less of an appearance problem if you're viewing from the convex (outside) of the curve rather than the concave side. But the appearance issue is one only you can decide for yourself.

-- D

ACY

Just make sure your layout has at least 22" radius curves or else you won't be able to run it (at least without many issues).

RAM

how long will the motor of the train will last before it retire?  That is like saying how many miles can I get on my car.  some people get 200,000, 300,000 or more miles and the car still runs good.  While other people will burn one up in less than 100,00.  A lot depends on how you take care of it. Most locomotives will wear out before the motor dies. 

fyzal

Finally,after some info from you guys and research I decided to get the 2-8-4 berkshire instead,it's not too long and not too short engine.

a.)So what kind or radius of tracks should I use so it will run smooth in curves?

b.)what accessories should I buy to put sound on it?

ACY

You need at a minimum 22" radius, but it will run the smoothest on 24" radius and broader curves. You can buy a tsunami decoder, you will also need a speaker and baffle. If you a low on $$$, then maybe an MRC decoder that comes with a speaker, and then buy a baffle separately.

fyzal

ok,since this is my first time maybe I will first try the MRC,but does it sound good?

jonathan

fyzal,

The 2-8-4 berkshire is a great choice for your first time installing sound.  Plus, it's a great running locomotive all by itself.  Mine will handle 22" radius curves easily.

Here's a link to a thread I posted some time ago.  It was my first time installing a sound unit:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16616.0.html

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

Quote from: fyzal on July 13, 2011, 01:32:48 AM
ok,since this is my first time maybe I will first try the MRC,but does it sound good?
Its sounds okay, that is why it is cheaper, the Tsunami sounds great though, but that is why it is more expensive ($120+).

Doneldon

fyzal-

You might find that you can gin up your own baffle once you
get into the project. While you really can't avoid having some
kind of baffle, it doesn't have to be a manufactured one.

-- D

Jim Banner

Quote from: fyzal on July 08, 2011, 11:13:18 PM
how long will the motor of the train will last before it retire?

I belong to a group that has a model railroad set up in our local museum.  We use Bachmann Consolidations because Consolidations were common in the time period we model and we use specifically Bachmann Consolidations because of their long life.  We treat them rather brutally in that we have the speed set at about half throttle and then simply turn the power to the track on and off as required.  This gives a wheel spinning start and a sliding stop every time.  Between each start and stop, they pull a five car train over a scale mile of track.

The first locomotives we used were not made by Bachmann and failed after less than 1000 trips around the track.  Our Bachmann Consolidations last about 50,000 trips.  That is 50,000 wheel spinning starts, 50,000 scale miles traveled, and 50,000 skidding stops, all with only occasional lubrication and maintenance.  50,000 scale miles is about 600 real miles or close to 1000 real kilometers.  I don't know how you run your railroad, but my guess is these hardy locomotives will last you a long, long time.

Jim  
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

fyzal

Quote from: ACY on July 13, 2011, 10:45:27 AM
Quote from: fyzal on July 13, 2011, 01:32:48 AM
Its sounds okay, that is why it is cheaper, the Tsunami sounds great though, but that is why it is more expensive ($120+).

$120? it's like another new train:-)

fyzal

Well thanks to you all who shared their expertise and knowledge:-) I'm just excited waiting for my engine to arrive.

ACY

Quote from: fyzal on July 13, 2011, 08:34:32 PM
$120? it's like another new train:-)
Yes Tsunami decoders cost between $120-$140 plus shipping if you buy online or mail order. Tsunami decoders do not include a speaker. MRC sound decoders cost $80-$110, but include a speaker. Here is a link for a decoder you may want to consider: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/500-1639

Doneldon

fyzal-

Yes, the sound electronics are expensive. You can generally shave a little off of the cost if you buy locos which already have DCC and sound installed versus equipping or reequipping locos yourself with aftermarket decoders. Of course you gain the advantage of being able to cherry pick for the best decoder when you do the installation yourself.
                                                     -- D

Jim Banner

The prices on Tsunamis must be dropping.  Tony's lists them in the $80 to $100 range except for the micros.
http://www.tonystrains.com/products/soundtraxx_tsunami.htm
A speaker will add $8 to $10.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.