News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Items, including a 2-6-0

Started by J3a-614, July 09, 2011, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

It does sort of look like the old IHC Mogul. I wonder whether there will be an unlettered version? It could make a nice companion engine to my Richmond American.

I guess some people will buy anything with "Pennsylvania" on it, even if it doesn't look anything like a Pennsylvania engine.

h-man

considering even i have an 0-6-0, i don't think their 0-6-0 will die. the varients? probly. ;)

wictl

I think that the new 2-6-0 is based in the GBW 56/256 based on the photo link ...

http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/image/136311296

I compared this to the John Campbell Photos and the drawings in the MR Cyclopedia Vol 1 - Steam Locomotives (drawing 19 page 46)and the model is very similar to the 56/256 before the 1939 rebuilding. 

The engineers side of the model appears to be an exact match to that of the builders photo in the Cyclopedia.  The tender, cab, dome placement, unevenly spaced drivers, valve gear, piston valve cylinders, running board, headlight, bell placement, cab placement, sand pipe, and brake gear appear the match between the model and photo

The only difference that I see is the type and placement of the air pumps on the fireman's side. 

Too much of the details match for it not to be based on the late GBW 2-6-0's.

I am a very happy Green Bay and Western fan and modeler.

Doneldon

It's fun to speculate about the prototype for Bachmann's new Mogul but let's keep something in mind: the appearance of prototype steam engines was dynamic in the extreme. We can realistically talk about prototypes only in terms of how a given locomotive looked/ran/was equipped at a specific time in a specific place. Railroads modified their steam locos extensively, sometimes even before they were delivered. I know that this drives rivet counters nuts and that they, in turn, feel licensed to point out to us that we have an extra paint drip above the running boards where the second boiler wrapper sheet meets the third boiler wrapper sheet. We non-RCs, of course, then feel permitted to invite them to get lost. So the whole prototype thing just causes trouble. Let's all celebrate that Bachmann has given us a fine new model which many of us will enjoy on our home pikes.
                                                                                                                  -- D

RAM

witcl, where did you find a picture of the engineers side of  the model.

Mark Mathu

Here is an image of the engineer's side of the Alco 2-6-0 model:
http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/image/136311296/large

Here is an image of the engineer's side of GBW 2-6-0 #56 (later #256) built by Alco (Schenectady) November 1924:
http://www.greenbayroute.com/56build3.jpg

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I personally can't wait to get one of these engines. And see a picture of the engine in each road name. As far as engines go, I am a loyal Bachmann engine owner.

Matlac

The funny thing is the fact the Canadian National version have roadnumbers that doesn't match at all this class of locomotive. That said, this model will be a close prototype to the real engines they did have, so for the price and the quality and some renumbering job, they will make an excellent start for a nice project. It's getting interesting to see that Bachmann issued "classic" steam locomotive arrangements that can be superdetailled and stand in for many other prototype. And when you think Alco, MLW isn't very far which is quite good for canadian modelers.

Matt

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: Matlac on July 18, 2011, 11:55:01 PM
The funny thing is the fact the Canadian National version have roadnumbers that doesn't match at all this class of locomotive. That said, this model will be a close prototype to the real engines they did have, so for the price and the quality and some renumbering job, they will make an excellent start for a nice project. It's getting interesting to see that Bachmann issued "classic" steam locomotive arrangements that can be superdetailled and stand in for many other prototype. And when you think Alco, MLW isn't very far which is quite good for canadian modelers.

Matt

True the CN version doesn't have a prototypical road number but, again it would be very easy to reletter it for one of the class that the CN had. And Montreal Locomotive works has been called the Canadian brother of the American Locomotive Company. I live in Minnesota so I am Partial to ALCo, but they shared a lot of locomotive designs. A lot of them were modified to suit the Canadian Market though they were a common design.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Matlac on July 18, 2011, 11:55:01 PM

Matt

I checked and the CNR 6000 series was the CN Mountains.

The 2-6-0's were # in the mid 80's - 90/s (two digits) and the bulk of them in the # 400-550 (3 digits)
Pacific Northern

RBMN #425 Fan

i want to get the schnabel car. i've wanted 1 since 2 years ago when  i first heard about them
BRING BACK THE 425!!!!!
(or 2102. or finish the 113!!!!)

churlish

I'm really happy about the 2-6-0 as I've been needing one for a while. I noticed from the flyer that all models are decorated; will there be an unlettered version coming out? That would be perfect for me.....

Thanks!

wictl

Yup, Mark, those are the photos that I used for my comparison.

Wictl

Quote from: Mark Mathu on July 15, 2011, 07:52:35 PM
Here is an image of the engineer's side of the Alco 2-6-0 model:
http://www.pbase.com/tracktime/image/136311296/large

Here is an image of the engineer's side of GBW 2-6-0 #56 (later #256) built by Alco (Schenectady) November 1924:
http://www.greenbayroute.com/56build3.jpg

ryeguyisme

at a $150 MSRP for the mogul with sound, that means my shop will be able to buy a good shipment of them and you know I'm definitely picking up alot of these for personal and club use :) I am very glad to see this new offering from bachmann. The next great thing is a deeper plunge into heavy steam locomotives, that being said maybe competitors will go the plunge as well.

RAM

When I saw that Bachmann was coming out with a Alco 2-6-0 lettered for the ATSF  I thought that all right, accept the Santa Fe didn't have any Alco 2-6-0.  I checked and I was wrong.  They had two that came from the Arkansas Vally.  They had 57 inch drivers and were numbered 503-504.  The only picture is of the fireman's side and it looks like the model.