The newly announced 2-6-0, Spectrum or Standard Line?

Started by rogertra, July 10, 2011, 12:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

The newly announced 2-6-0, Spectrum of Standard Line?

If it's Spectrum, I can two or three for the GER.

If it's Standard, I can see none.  I have almost no faith in the Standard line.

Hopefully, it's Spectrum.

ACY

It will be equivalent in quality to a 2-8-0 Spectrum, but at a better price-point than the 2-8-0 Spectrum was.

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on July 10, 2011, 12:06:34 AM
It will be equivalent in quality to a 2-8-0 Spectrum, but at a better price-point than the 2-8-0 Spectrum was.

Hmmm.  "Equivalent" isn't the same as a Spectrum.  Looks like I may have to pass if it's not Spectrum.  :-(

Guilford Guy

The new standard line offerings have spectrum quality innards, but lack the amount of details that you would see on the spectrum line locomotives. They're running qualities will be excellent, but you will need to add miscellaneous detail parts.
Alex

Doneldon

ACY-

What's the source of your assertion that the new Mogul will be "equivalent" to Spectrum?

Bachmann isn't a bunch of dummies. They have to know that a Spectrum product goes for a premium price compared to regular line products. They'd be truly bad business people (lawsuits from the stockholders bad) if they are selling upgraded products, with higher production costs, without getting the premium price. I never went to business school but this just seems like common sense.
                                                                                                           --D

richg

In another thread about these locos I noticed less cost and might be less sound and CV features. No mention of Tsunami and we know some rivet counters do not like the present Spectrum Tsunami. Do not assume. Wait untill SoundTraxx or Bachmann post the PDF for the features.
Some will and no doubt we will see an occasional rant in the future.
It will be an advantage to those who are cashed strapped. There will be on line sites that will sell the locos for less than Bachmann shows.

Rich

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on July 10, 2011, 03:16:51 PM
What's the source of your assertion that the new Mogul will be "equivalent" to Spectrum?
You are putting words into my mouth, I never said that. The guy I talked to said to expect it to be about the same quality as the Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation, which is now standard line. It will not be the quality of a new Spectrum, but will match the quality of the 2-8-0 Spectrum according to what he said.

Pacific Northern

If the new 2-6-0 matches the quality and finish of the Bachmann Standard 2-8-4 I will be satisfied. I have been waiting for a new 2-6-0 for quite a while. I would pay the premium if Bachmann did include their new 2-6-0 in the Spectrum line, but it appears from the announcement that it is indeed a Standard line product and has been priced accordingly.

I will have at least three of these, likely more.

FYI, when Bachmann introduced their 4-8-4's and 2-10-4's in the Standard line they received good reviews with Model Railroad News and when the 2-8-4 was released in the Standard Line as well, it too received good reviews. Of all of the train magazines I find the Model Railroad News to be the only one that will and has said include negative comments in their reviews.

It is evident that the newer Bachmann Standard engines have been upgraded to a level above the "old" Standard Line of years ago.
Pacific Northern

RAM

It is just like Atlas.  two classes. More detail more money, less detail less money.  However inside they are the same.

Doneldon

ACY-

Read your own post! You wrote, and I am quoting you verbatim, "It will be equivalent in quality to a 2-8-0 Spectrum," emphasis mine. It certainly looks to me like you said "equivalent" and "Spectrum," since those words are right there in black and white, well, black and blue. Which part of equivalent are you saying isn't there?

It's one thing to be a cheerleader for Bachmann, ACY, but please don't give us unsubstantiated rumors or imaginings. Frankly, you'll do more harm to Bachmann with such bs than good. And it's disrespectful to all of us who read such posts.

While we're at it, please note that I didn't put any words into your mouth. I merely asked you for your authority to make your statement, which I quoted directly from your post. It turns out you had none.
                                                                                                                -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 10, 2011, 04:08:33 PM
If the new 2-6-0 matches the quality and finish of the Bachmann Standard 2-8-4 I will be satisfied. I have been waiting for a new 2-6-0 for quite a while. I would pay the premium if Bachmann did include their new 2-6-0 in the Spectrum line, but it appears from the announcement that it is indeed a Standard line product and has been priced accordingly.

FYI, when Bachmann introduced their 4-8-4's and 2-10-4's in the Standard line they received good reviews with Model Railroad News and when the 2-8-4 was released in the Standard Line as well, it too received good reviews.

It is evident that the newer Bachmann Standard engines have been upgraded to a level above the "old" Standard Line of years ago.

Sorry, but one Cannot trust the reviews from the major hobby magazines.  Manufacturers purchase major advertising space in the various model railroad magazines and unlike say the computer or automobile magazines that will give poor reviews, to the extent of trashing advertisers products, all the major model railroad hobby magazines go out of their way to be positive in their reviews.

If a produst is so bad they can't honestly say anything positive about it, then they will not review the product.  The Walthers 90ft turntable kit is a case in point. So bad, it was never reviewed, by any magazine.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on July 10, 2011, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: Pacific Northern on July 10, 2011, 04:08:33 PM

FYI, when Bachmann introduced their 4-8-4's and 2-10-4's in the Standard line they received good reviews with Model Railroad News and when the 2-8-4 was released in the Standard Line as well, it too received good reviews.

Sorry, but one Cannot trust the reviews from the major hobby magazines.  Manufacturers purchase major advertising space in the various model railroad magazines and unlike say the computer or automobile magazines that will give poor reviews, to the extent of trashing advertisers products, all the major model railroad hobby magazines go out of their way to be positive in their reviews.

If a produst is so bad they can't honestly say anything positive about it, then they will not review the product.  The Walthers 90ft turntable kit is a case in point. So bad, it was never reviewed, by any magazine.

I amended my earlier posting to point out that off all of the major model railroad magazines Model Railroad News will and has pointed out the negative in their reviews. Not so for Model Railroader or Model Railroad Craftsman.

If you go to their website you can get a complementary issue to review.
Pacific Northern

ACY

Quote"It will be equivalent in quality to a 2-8-0 Spectrum,"
The way I am reading your posts, you appear to be taking it not really out of context, as much as just plain incorrectly. Of course I could me mistaken, but that is just how it seems to me. The nice gentleman I spoke to just said similar in quality to the 2-8-0 Spectrum. That is how he described it; he insinuated not above the quality of any current Spectrum steam locomotives (at least that is the feeling I got from him). So if the 2-8-0 is of sufficient quality and detail then this loco would be what you're looking for, if you are looking for more detail then you may want to pass, but he said it should run well, better than the previous 2-6-0 with smoke.

QuoteI merely asked you for your authority to make your statement, which I quoted directly from your post. It turns out you had none.
Just by chance I ran across someone who had a relative that was with Bachmann in some facet. Obviously, he could only answer some general questions as he did not know any specific details. He did show me a photo of his layout that pictured him standing next to another guy with a blue shirt with a Bachmann logo. I made an assumption that the blue shirt was for employees, so as long as it is then I would believe what he said for the most part. I only spoke with him for about 10 or 15 minutes and only about a few of the newly announced HO items, but mostly about the direction of the hobby and the decrease of kits and increase of RTR and stuff like that.

Atlantic Central

Roger,

As per my response on another forum to your same question/comment:

If you prejudge this model based on the name on the box, you will be selling yourself short.

My five 2-8-4's, converted to freelanced 2-8-2's are excelent locos. That loco has recieved high praise from many. The once Spectrum 44 tonner, 70 tonner and 2-8-0 all now come in "Standard Line" boxes. If you think somehow they have been cheapened, you are misinformed - the 2-8-0's are exactly the same, the 44 and 70 tonner are actually improved from their original Spectrum versions.

Here is how Bachmann is saving money with these items. Look at the size and complexity of the old 2-8-0 packaging, the box cost much more than the new Standard line box, and now three or four locos can be shipped in the same space compared to the Spectrum packing.

I have LONG said, over and over, on this and other forums, about ANY and EVERY brand, including your endless beef with Athearn over one product, that EACH individual product should be judged on its own merits, not prejudged because of who made it, who marketed it, what color box it comes in, where it is made, what it is made out of and so on.

EVERY company in this business, and in every business, has made a dud now and then. And some of the worst companies in the world have had a few winners.

But Bachmann has been on a clear path to overall quality improvement regardless of your "feelings" on the subject.

I knew a guy who years ago would not buy an American car, saying they were all junk. He bought a 1993 Mazda Navajo SUV, and raved about how great it was - then I opened the hood and proved to him it was just a rebadged Ford Explorer - Made in the USA - his opinion of American cars changed.

Sheldon

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Atlantic Central on July 13, 2011, 07:33:09 AM
I knew a guy who years ago would not buy an American car, saying they were all junk. He bought a 1993 Mazda Navajo SUV, and raved about how great it was - then I opened the hood and proved to him it was just a rebadged Ford Explorer - Made in the USA - his opinion of American cars changed.

Sheldon

:D

Thank you, Sheldon! That made my morning!