News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

At the NTS...

Started by railtwister, July 11, 2011, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Did anyone attending the NTS in Sacremento notice whether Bachmann had any advance models of the new On30 Porters with sound operating on their display layout? I'm curious to see how they ran in comparison with the older versions, and what the sound was like. I realize that a convention or train show is not the best place to evaluate the sound system because of all the surrounding noise, but if it could be heard at all under such conditions, it would be a good sign.

Bill in FL

JohnR

Yes they did.  They had production samples of all of the new paint schemes and samples with sound.

You are correct that a show may not be ideal but they were as audible as any other loco demo loco at their booth.  Not knowing where they had the sound levels set, the new porters with exciters were about as loud as the new heisler with a regular speaker.

The new porters are heavier by 2-3 oz (my guess).  This is due to many of the details being shifted from plastic to cast metal.  The motor is a newer, smaller, higher rpm unit.  This in turn meant changing the gearing so that it would run at the same pace as the original version.  The toothed gear on the axel has a larger diameter than the original and thus has the potential to snag on things between the rails that are higher than the railhead.  The wheel axels are on ball bearings to reduce friction with the frame.  I would say the detailing is finer overall - new backhead detailing, whistle pull, wood grain on the sliding window's frame, pilot beams, etc.  Also, the 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 each have different whistles appropriate to their prototypes.  Likewise, the bells are based on recordings of similarly proportioned bells.

Bachmann did a very nice job on the retooling and re-engineering these.

-John

NarrowMinded

I cant wait to get a couple of them in my hands

NM-Jeff

gmhtrains

While I enjoyed my day at the National Train Show and examined Bachmann's Heisler, Porters and skidder, I have to admit that the new product that caught my attention the most was Grand Central Gems' line of O scale "Western" structures. Although presumably intended for late 19th Century "wild west" layouts, the two saloons, sheriff's office, barber shop and bank can be fitted with different signage and used as other businesses in small town settings up through the mid-20th Century. Grand Central Gems, better known for scenery (trees) products and trestle bents, unfortunately doesn't picture the structures on their website yet.

Gil Hulin
Eugene, OR

Ned

Gil:

Those new structures sound quite nice.

I'm assuming they are kits. I'm new to kit building and am wondering if these appear suitable for a beginner or are they intended more for the advanced craftsman?

Thank you.

Ned

gmhtrains

Ned and anyone else interested,

I got the impression that Grand Central Gems prefers to sell their new buildings already assembled. I didn't mention that they appear to be resin, and I don't recall if the pre-production samples displayed at the NTS were painted. If so, it was just a flat tan. I requested, and was given the OK to order, four of the buildings in kit form. I believe that the pre-assembled buildings will retail for $100 to $150 each. I emailed GCG today to inquire when I might expect delivery, and to say that I don't need any assembly instructions written just for me. At the local hobby shop today I noticed that Grand Central Gems' HO scale trestle bents are in packaging that says "Made in Mexico". It seems possible that the resin structures could also be made in Mexico. If so, I am not going to look for a package from Salt Lake City for several weeks.

To answer your question Ned, I don't know if you can get the buildings as kits, but if so, the price may be half of what GCG is asking for assembled structures. The key to building resin kits is to wash all parts to remove any mold release before gluing or painting, and to use appropriate glue (ACC "super glue," not a styrene plastic glue).

Gil

Ned

Thank you Gil.

Hope you enjoy your new structures.

Ned