News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dummy Units

Started by DominicMazoch, June 01, 2011, 07:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DominicMazoch

Because of DP units on trains, it would be nice to have dummy units of newer units, like GE Dash units or SD90's.  I could put a dummy unit midtrain and/or rear of my trains.

phillyreading

Unpowered or dummy units, as some call them, would be nice in more engine models.
I have seen railroads in the state of Georgia have four engines up front and one near the rear of the train. I was told the rear engine took up the coupler slack, because other wise the train would have to be shorter not to uncouple near the front of the train.
Other railroads have three engines at the front of the train and two engines in the rear to go over some uphill grades, and the rear engineer communicates by two way radio with the front of the train.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

On many railroads, with distiibutive Powere, the lead unit can control mid and end helps using radio and electronic control.  Most rains today with helpers are UNMANNED!

davidone

I would like to see scale dummy gg1 units. Williams did make them many years ago and they were very popular. Time for WBB to do it.

Dave

DominicMazoch

G, those dummies would be heavy.  But PRR, PC and CR did run lash ups. er, mu G's!

phillyreading

Multiple GG-1's would have a lot of horse power and neeed some heavy electrical current supplied to them. I think that the GG-1 had a horsepower rating of 4500 hp.
Today's diesel engines almost have that kind of power, the SD-90mac.
They don't run as many trains, but they do run longer trains, so the need for horsepower is there.  FEC will have 120 to 130 freight cars on one train between Jacksonville FL and Miami FL, that takes a lot of horsepower to keep that train moving, starting and stopping at sidings for bridges and signal lights.

Lee F.

DominicMazoch

GG1:  up to 8K HP short rating.  4.5K HP continuous.