News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RS-3 adding sound

Started by chaynes, July 21, 2011, 12:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaynes

Does anyone know if there are any sound only decoders OR decoders with sound that are currently on the market  that can be intalled in Bachmann's current RS-3 locomotives.  I am looking for a sound only decoder that will install with the factory decoder or a decoder with sound that will replace the factory decoder.  Really hoping for something that is "drop in"

thanks
Chris

chaynes

...based on the lack of responses, I'm guessing such a product does not exist, at least in a "drop in" form.  Bachmann are you reading this?  Maybe here is a product opportunity.

genetk44

Patience young Jedi!
...first I got an new MRC plug-and-play sound chip for an RS-3

richg

Quote from: chaynes on July 22, 2011, 09:46:39 AM
...based on the lack of responses, I'm guessing such a product does not exist, at least in a "drop in" form.  Bachmann are you reading this?  Maybe here is a product opportunity.

Logic says that probably no one has done this here.
The Bach Man would have to recommend another brand of decoder and speaker as Bachmann does not sell sound decoders that you can install. I do not think he would do that.
Post a photo of the diagram that came with your RS-3 and maybe some here might have an suggestion.
I have not seen the diagram for this loco in the Bachmann diagrams.
Expect to pay around $50.00 to about $140 depending on which brand of decoder and speaker you buy.
I suspect it "might" not be drop in but could be wrong.
The Alco RS-3 was a 1600 HP diesel.
SoundTraxx has the Alco sound as does some other brands. Some cheaper brands have a generic sound which please some.
I have put a SoundTraxx Tsunami light board type decoder, {about $90.00 speaker/decoder} in a VO-1000 which is a 1000 HP loco so maybe "about" the same size shell and frame.
The speaker on mine is a 16mm X 35MM oval mounted on the front of the frame and fires down into the front truck. The tight fitting shell is a good baffle.
A friend has a MRC sound decoder, {lower cost}, in a different RS-3 brand and is happy with it.

Rich

genetk44

The MRC drop-in is ok...for an MRC drop-in....but if one of the others, Soundtraxx for example, makes one that fits then I would go for that on my next RS-3

richg

Quote from: genetk44 on July 22, 2011, 01:38:54 PM
The MRC drop-in is ok...for an MRC drop-in....but if one of the others, Soundtraxx for example, makes one that fits then I would go for that on my next RS-3

Do a Google search for alco rs-3 prime mover and find out prime mover info. Then go to the SoundTraxx site and look at he different Tsunami light board decoders for the sounds they have. I always search out the prime mover for any of my diesels.
You can also send an email to Litchfield Station and ask them about decoder and speaker possibilities. I have done that more than once. They have free shipping over $75.00. The down side, they do not carry the MRC decoders. MRC has had got a lot of bad rap about their decoders.
I believe Digitrax carries inexpensive sound decoders.

Rich

genetk44

MRC are not a decoder I'd order in.nor is it my primary choice...I'd rather use a Tsunami or Soundtraxx

jward

the mrc decoder, although marketed for an atlas s2/s4, has the correct alco 244 sounds for an rs3. as i recall, they got it pretty close. this coming from somebody who spent alot of time around the rs3s on the western maryland.

i have no experience with the other brands.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA