Has anyone else dressed up a Williams engine/car

Started by rtraincollector, July 23, 2011, 06:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtraincollector

I have so far taken a Williams PA-1 B-unit ( dummy) and added Tmcc and coil couplers I also have added hand rails to where the molded ones are on the B-unit. Just wondering if any body else has done any thing to theres or similar to what I have to customize there engine/car.
Here are some befor and after pics of the B-unit with hand rails

after

down the road the trucks and the fuel tank will get painted silver to match the Lionel PA-1 engine the only reason the Williams will be not the Lionel is the Lionel fuel tank is molded to the cab and the Williams screws off so It will be easier to do than the Lionel here is a pic of the 2 together at present yes the Lionel is dark Grey with lighter Grey stripes where the Williams is the black with lighter Grey stripe paint scheme and yes NYC did both.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Here's my WBB E7 in Seaboard Air Line paint:

I also put an ERR Cruise Commander module inside and a MRC AC Sounder kit to give it some life.  I also put LED headlights in it and built a semi-scale cab with crew.

rtraincollector

cool was wondering as haven't seen anybody post on here about it

DominicMazoch

Actually, in Alcos, the PA was the passenger unit with a cab, the PB was the passenger unit without the cab.  Same as freight:  FA and FB!

rtraincollector

Quote from: DominicMazoch on July 24, 2011, 02:13:51 PM
Actually, in Alcos, the PA was the passenger unit with a cab, the PB was the passenger unit without the cab.  Same as freight:  FA and FB!
i know but the last ime I posted that on here I was corrected as williams list both as PA so trying to advoid that knowing williams was wrong or bachmann who ever I just went ahead and listed it as PA-1 B-unit. LOL seems however I do I'm getting a comment.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,16680.0.html

well anyway I think you knew what I ment

DominicMazoch

OK, you know!  Great.  But some people can be mean in corrections/suggestions.

mike d

On my Union Pacific U33C's, I added diamond plate to the walkways, scratchbuilt new fuel/air tank assemblies, added brakewheels, drop steps, railing chains, firecracker antenna, windshield wipers, reworked the pilots and added air hoses, painted the exhaust stack, repainted and weathered the sideframes, added MU receptacles, painted the side window frames and put a gray decal on the top of the nose.

My U.P. GP-9's got the same treatment as the U-boats.

On my U.P. PA's and PB, I scratchbuilt new fuel tanks, painted and weathered the trucks, reinstalled the porthole glazing from the inside, painted the red stripes on the anti-climber and painted the screens to make them look more realistic.

The E7's only got new fuel tanks as that was the only real shortcoming of these units.

I haven't figured out how to post pics otherwise I would post them.

rtraincollector

mike you need to goto a photo hosting site and join I use www.photobucket.com then roll your cursor over the pic and copy the one that says img code and then post it in your message and it will appear.

Sherwood

The details on my B&M BL-2 are pretty good already, but I do plan to spray the whole thing with dullcoat including the windows (to make them opaque)  I may mask two areas representing the area that the windshield wipers keep clean.  I plan to model winter so the windows would likely be none too clear.

I also bought an AC sounder but it doesn't seem to be load enough even after I figured out how to turn it up.  Seaboard, did you use the stock speaker from MRC, and where did you mount it?  I plan to put it in the fuel tank sounding through holes or slots like some of the other brands do, but when I run it just lying on the frame with no body it is barely audible above the sound of the loco itself.  The speaker from MRC is closed on the back, so I don't see how a resonance chamger would help.   I also tried the trueblast speaker but it had a lot of hot melt glue restricting the cone travel from a sloppy original installation, and of course it is inside...

Seaboard Air Line Fan

Sherwood,
I mounted the stock MRC speaker on a 1-1/2" cardboard tube/baffle and mounted that inside the engine on top of the metal underframe.  I used hot glue to do the job.  The speaker is pointing up, I cut a notch in the cardboard for the wires.

With the metal grille openings on the E7 the sound has a good escape route.  The horn and whistle are surprisingly loud, the diesel rumble is not as loud but still loud enough to hear as the engine with 5 passenger cars goes around the layout.

From what I've read on other forums, a baffle will help no matter what side of the speaker face it's on.  It keeps the sound from the back cancelling out the sound from the front.

I wish MRC would sell the speakers separately, I'd replace a couple of speakers in some older MTH engines.

rtraincollector

Quote from: Seaboard Air Line Fan on July 26, 2011, 05:50:58 AM
Sherwood,
I mounted the stock MRC speaker on a 1-1/2" cardboard tube/baffle and mounted that inside the engine on top of the metal underframe.  I used hot glue to do the job.  The speaker is pointing up, I cut a notch in the cardboard for the wires.

With the metal grille openings on the E7 the sound has a good escape route.  The horn and whistle are surprisingly loud, the diesel rumble is not as loud but still loud enough to hear as the engine with 5 passenger cars goes around the layout.

From what I've read on other forums, a baffle will help no matter what side of the speaker face it's on.  It keeps the sound from the back cancelling out the sound from the front.

I wish MRC would sell the speakers separately, I'd replace a couple of speakers in some older MTH engines.
hey try this web site once there click on products then click on accessories and about at the bottom they have 2 different speakers you can get from them. http://www.electricrr.com/

mike d

I finally got around to creating a new Photobucket account, so here are a couple of pics. See my first post for description of mods. It's hard to see some of the details because the photos are small, but maybe you can see what I did to them. I don't like the way the air tanks came out on my Geeps and I'm in the process of making new tanks, so I didn't include pics of them.
Here is a pic of my U33C's.

Here is a pic of one of my PA's. Since this pic was taken I added cab access steps to the lead truck.

DominicMazoch

Do dress up, but am planning conversion to bs9 led bulbs.

stationmaster12

I dressed up an old MTH railking SD90!. But I want to comment on how well your O27 track looks MikeD! I have MTH realtrack and I want to dress it up. Great work!!
Keep God first in all that you do.