What is need to add sound to a dcc equipped n heavy mountain??

Started by zeeke, July 23, 2011, 11:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeeke

I have a dcc equipped heavy mountain, and want to add sound, any suggestions would be appreciated.

skipgear

A complete sound decoder. Removing the factory decoder is as simple as unsoldering 7 wires. Resolder your decoder of choice to those 7 pads and install your speaker.

Which heavy mountain is the question though. If it is the C&O with a VC16 tender, good luck on fitting it all in there. If it is one of the loco's with the USRA Long tender, then you should be fine, any of the N scale sound decoders should fit from Digitrax, Locsound or Soundraxx.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

skybrook10

Is there a schematic that shows what post 8,1,2,4,5,6,7 go to?

skipgear

Quote from: skybrook10 on July 25, 2011, 07:45:04 PM
Is there a schematic that shows what post 8,1,2,4,5,6,7 go to?

The numbers correspond to the pin locations on an NMRA 8 pin socket. They are also referenced in the instructions that come with the loco...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/82511.pdf
Tony Hines

richg

There are four companies that make a N scale sound decoder. Prices about $50.00 to about $140.00.

Rich

skybrook10

The numbers correspond to the pin locations on an NMRA 8 pin socket. They are also referenced in the instructions that come with the loco...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/82511.pdf

Awesome! thanks. The page that came with mine is very light and hard to read. Is there a good review of the sound module options?

skybrook10

Quote from: richg on July 25, 2011, 11:34:12 PM
There are four companies that make a N scale sound decoder. Prices about $50.00 to about $140.00.

Rich
Do you have experience with these modules? Any opinion? I'm sure one gets what they pay for.....

ACY

If you want basic sounds and price is a concern go with something like an MRC, if not then the other 3 are more dependent on which one you like the best sound effect wise. I see the older MRC decoder that Skip is referring to sometimes selling for the same or a little less than the Digitraxx. They both sell for about $40-$60. The newer MRC can be had for $70 on ebay if you get a good deal.

skipgear

First we need to know which tender you have with your Heavy Mountain. That will be the biggest determining factor in which decoder will work best.

If it is the VC16 Vanderbilt tender, then because of fitment issues, the Digitrax or maybe the new MRC will be the best bet. Both use a long, narrow form factor. With both, you will probably need or want to change the speaker.

If you are using the Long USRA tender, then any of them will fit.

I like the sound of the Soundtraxx decoders the best but I have had problems with the motor section in them failing. The Loksound are the most durable but I really don't like the steam chuff sounds available in them. The new MRC is an unknown, the old ones sounded OK but the motor control was sloppy. The newer 1900 series MRC's are supposed to be greatly improved. The Digitrax is my favorite for sound but you pretty much have to make them yourself and take advantage of the uploadable features of the decoder. If you are not tech savy and don't want to play sound engineer, I would probably look at the Soundtraxx Micro Tsunami or the MRC 1900 series steam decoder.

The Loksound have gotten cost prohibitive any more, retail over $170.00. Soundtraxx Micro's retail for $140, the MRC under $100 and the Digitrax $50.
Tony Hines