News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC decoders for Spectrum locos

Started by cec209, June 29, 2011, 02:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cec209

Is there a list anywhere of DCC decoders for the various Spectrum locos to replace the DC boards or wire into the boards?

Charlie

ACY

seadowns

Well, grab your caliper and meassure the available space under the lockies shell and you will find out.
All Digitrax DZ series and other brands with similar size will fit in a spectrum, thats for sure!

Regards
Mathi

Fred Klein

Charlie,

I recently converted 3 Bachmann Dash 8-40CW units to DCC using the Digitrax DZ123 decoder. The Bachmann circuit board uses the standard NMRA numbering for the wiring so all you have to do is match the color to the number and then solder the wires in. Prior to soldering the wires, you will have to remove two copper jumper clips that connect to the holes on the board. They just pull off with a pair of pliers. On the Dash 8-40CW units there is a space between the overhanging circuit board and the chassis at the rear of the engine that is large enough for you to tuck the decoder in. Prior to soldering the wires, I sort of do a "dry" run of tucking in the decoder and seeing how it fits, then I cut the wires to length, allowing a little bit extra so that I can easily maneuver the decoder under the circuit board after soldering.

All of the engines I have converted run great. I have two of them MU'ed together and they have a great slow speed as well as a lot of pulling power.

Hope this helps,

Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

cec209

Thanks to all. I'll try your method Fred.

Charlie