Running O Scale Trains Outdoors

Started by edromain, August 03, 2011, 05:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edromain

Has anybody had experience with operating O-Gauge track outdoors? 

ryeguyisme

there was a few articles in garden railroading on O gauge trains outdoors,track would have to be brass or stainless steel

train guy

I have not seen any o scale trains out doors but on youtube this one guy
has a whole On30 railroad outside.
the video is called On30 trains in the garden I hope you check it out.

JerryB

While attending the National Garden Railway Convention at San Diego in 1990, we visited an outdoor 0-scale layout in the semi-coastal area of northern San Diego County. As I recall, the layout focused on modern (post 1940) mainline RR operations.

It had sweeping curves when compared to the curves typically used on the larger (than '0') outdoor scales. The RR was well integrated into the natural terrain which was far from flat. I don't remember the construction details, but I think it was concrete roadbed with mass produced track. Perhaps plastic ties & nickel silver rail, or perhaps some combination of hand laid and prefabbed track.

The RR was well finished in all respects and a regular schedule of trains was operating. In all, very impressive. I wonder if it still exists. Anyone a long-time member of the San Diego Garden Railroad Society?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I work at a train store in Lansdale, Pa.   We share the building with a Lionel store.   Outside is a double loop of Lionel track.  That track has been out there for at least three years now,  enduring the great changes in weather that we have in Pa.    Clean the track,  of course is a MUST,  but the trains run,  even in the rain,  though not a lot.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

DWU

Hi EBTbob,not bein an ole grump but I live in nearby Sellersville,Ive been in the store usually once or twice a month,I remember the tracks being laid out there,everytime I went something was running,now it seems like only near Xmas.Although a great eyecatcher its just an empty loop,or at least on my last visit,get guys excited with a little landscaping and buildings,dress it up a bit,gotta help sales.Lookin for a job,they hiring?

Jim Banner

DWU,

Your post reminds me of the time I was showing a young friend of my granddaughters' my outdoor railroad.  She walked carefully along the tracks, examining every building, bridge and figure along the way.  After she had looked at it all, I asked her if she would like to run a train.  Her answer was a surprised "It has trains too?"

I bet the train store display is an eye catcher, even without trains.

Years ago, as a kid, I tried to run my MARX 3-rail tin plate train outside.  I was not very successful.  I put the 0-27 track directly on the none too smooth ground - sort of the original Rock and Roll Railroad complete with lots of derailments.  The trial ended suddenly when the locomotive wrapped up a weed in its gears.  I think the idea would work if the tracks were on a baseboard.  Baseboards made of 3/4" pressure treated plywood work well for my G-scale and last for years, even in contact with damp soil.

I do not know how tinplate 0-27 track would fare outside but I played around a bit with 3' narrow gauge in 1/29 scale using 0-gauge track which is very close to 3' in that scale.  I ran a MARX mechanism on hand laid three rail track using code 250 aluminum rail on hand cut cedar ties.  Even though the rail was oversize, it was no worse than regular 0 and 0-27 three rail track and it did allow adding an extra rail  to make dual gauge track.  In some ways, the four rails looked better than three - it looked rather like gantlet track.

Bottom line, it would be interesting to try and I for one would really like to hear your results.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

DWU

Jim Banner,The outdoor layout as I said would be great if it had buildings and scenery,but I just thought of it,where that shop is everything would probably be gone overnight,maybe that IS the reason.Sad aint it? As for me Ive always said I enjoy building the stuff and how it looks,could care less if it has trains or not,but guess thats NUTS !!!!

ebtbob

DWU,   the train at the store runs whenever the owner feels like running it.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

glennk28

for many years I had a portable O Scale layout--using the old Rivarossi snap track on four hollow-core doors.  I would set it up on my patio in Marina, CA (Suburb of Fort Ord,  near Monterey)--held up quite well.  I used to take it to O SCale West and shows inj the Bay Arrea.  Dismantled it when I moved to Yreka and built a building for trains.  gj

bill whisenhunt

I have an O-27  and I cannot find any brass track can you help?  bill

Len

Atlas-O track is has nickle silver rails and UV resistant plastic ties. I used it to set up a temporary layout in the backyard last spring for a birthday party, and it worked pretty well except for the short when some ice cream got dropped on the track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.