News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rath packing box car

Started by GM and BB RR, August 22, 2011, 05:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GM and BB RR

I purchased a Rath packing box car at a swap meet recently and would like to know if any one can tell me the Bachman stock number and the year(s) that it was produced. Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

Your Rath Packing Boxcar RPRX#608 does not have a Bachmann stock number.   It was sold only as a part of a set called the Red Comet put on the market in 1989.   The set had a Big hauler ATSF  4-6-0 #49.  The set was never listed in the Bachamnn Catalog.   Limited run  specials were part of Bachmann marketing style in the early years of large scale.   I was told by a Bachmann VP some years ago that only 1200 sets were made.  Although I have no other verification it is probably pretty close, and would be typical of other advertized limited runs where the quantity was stated. 

Here are the details of the set:
90012*   ATSF   Red Comet   1989   Ltd Run   Mixed   49   Ver2   Rath Boxcar RPRX#608   B&O Flat #1525   ATSF Combine #24

Rath Cars were refrigerator cars not Boxcars, and although I have asked many folks at bachmann why they put it out as a boxcar, I have never had an answer.  Still in all a very nice looking car.

Have fun with it.!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

GM and BB RR

Thanks for the info Loco Bill