News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2012: Your Predictions

Started by therailwayinspector, August 06, 2011, 06:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW James

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on February 03, 2012, 06:53:20 PM
Would Bachmann be able to produce the Skarloey engines if they don't have the license to produce N-Scale Thomas and Friends products? Technically the range would be HOn3/009, but I'm just curious. That kind of has me a bit puzzled.
Their On30 range uses the same mechanisms as their HO range, but it is marketed separately. I'm sure any HOn30 models would be handled the same way.
Honestly, I would love to see them produce a HOn30 range, regardless of whether they do the Thomas NG stock or not.
Rick

thomasj219

They would have to acquire the license yes, if they do it is inevitable that they will make an N range.
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

ThomasFan247

But as long as Tomix is still holding the N-Scale license, would Bachmann be able to produce a narrow gauge range?

RW James

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on February 03, 2012, 09:01:54 PM
But as long as Tomix is still holding the N-Scale license, would Bachmann be able to produce a narrow gauge range?
I'm probably ignorant about this - but how is that different than what Hornby does - right along with Bachmann?
Rick

thomasj219

HORNBY holds the right in Britain BACHMANN hold the rights in the US that is why they can produce simultaneously. TOMIX holds the rights in Japan only I believe so BACHMANN should be able to produce in N here, it is most likely a matter of buying the license and BACHMANN either isn't in the position financially to do that right now or has its focus on other things. But never the less I feel inevitably someday soon (Next 2-4 years) we will have an N Scale line of Thomas and the Narrow Gauge engines from BACHMANN.

ThomasFan247

Oh, I see. I thought Tomix had the license here in the US too, but how the heck should I know for how rare their Thomas models are :P

thomasj219

Haha exactly, that's why they are as rare as they are.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on February 03, 2012, 10:38:12 PM
Oh, I see. I thought Tomix had the license here in the US too, but how the heck should I know for how rare their Thomas models are :P
The Tomix models were distributed under TOMY, which seems to have ceased for a long time.

thomasj219

Yes around 2003-2004, at the time of the HiT takeover. I bought a TOMIX Thomas Annie & Clarabel set in the US at a store just before this time.

On the subject of BACHMANN I really hope that they announce the Red coaches this year, any thoughts on the possibility. I'm surprised we don't have them already actually.

ClearwtaerMK2

QuoteYour argument has no logic, it is unlikely this year I will say that, but I will also say that BACHMANN has stated that they want to introduce Thomas in every scale, so there may soon come a day we see the narrow gauge engines.
What do you mean "My argument has no logic?" You did not even read the whole thing & by the way I'd be frightened if bachmann ever makes the narrow gauge engines.(The keyword being:Ever)

thomasj219

Why do you think I didn't read it, I did and it has no logic, all you stated is that they are smaller (so what) and that people like to make their own, some people cannot so the range would be a great thing for them. BACHMANN wants to introduce Thomas in every scale eventually as i said, so the narrow gauge engines have a shot in future years. And why would you be frightened? Unfortunately you did not see all our replies when you announced your departure from the forum, as the topic was deleted, but we stated that you are being rather immature (and still are) and if you continue to act this way, saying things like "BACHMANN will never make the narrow gauge engines so there  >:( " and so forth. The point to the forum is discussing things logically. If I suggest an engine someone thinks is unlikely they give their reasons why calmly, if you do that you get an interesting back and forth about the engines, if not it is just an immature shouting match. If you feel you can be a positive contribution please stay on the forum but if you cannot, you know where the delete account button is.

Not trying to be mean, just honest, looking out for the good of the forum.

Anthony P2

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on February 03, 2012, 04:45:42 PM

The reason why bachmann would never make any narrow gauge engines is because:
1.They are smaller than standard gauge engines.  really? you don't say
2.Bachmann would have to make this entire range for N scale in order to have them share the same size.  That's the whole point of making new products. they don't have to design a whole new track for them
3.The skarloey engines are better off made as toys so you can make your own in 009 scale.   not a good reason. your opinion.

So there!! >:(      o good, the water boiled. anyone for tea?

and if you did work for bachmann you would say that it would be a good idea because if you really think about it be for being mr. grumpy consider real facts
1.) extending the Thomas range to 009/N scale would bring in more profit because of the high demand from us Thomas modelers and parents will buy the engines for their kids because they "have" to have them
2.) for people who want to model the Tallyllyn railway they can just modify the Skarloey engines so they have a ready to run loco instead of  playing "hunt the trucks" for a kit then a chassie that will fit the kit
3.) as thomasj219 said "bachmann did say they wanted to expand their thomas line into all scales

i remember a time when all thomas modelers got along and talked about thomas. besides why are you so negative about the subject?

Cupix the Azelf

Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on February 03, 2012, 04:45:42 PM
Quote from: Cupix the Azelf on February 03, 2012, 02:33:40 AM
Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on February 01, 2012, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: RW James on January 31, 2012, 05:51:12 PM
Quote from: ClearwtaerMK2 on January 31, 2012, 04:47:50 PM
Stop bringing up the skarloey engines!
sorry - I didn't know you were in charge  ???
Believe you me! If I was in charge,Let alone an employee of Bachmann,I'd tell you bachmann would never make any skarloey engines at all.

Look who it is? Mr. Narrow Gauge Engine-Doubter... :(

Listen here, you got to stop making people believe in Bachmann not making the Skarloey Railway range. It could happen or it could not. The choices by Bachmann and/or HiT are 50/50 so there are chances they'll do them or not. But I do like them doing the standard gauge engines anyway. :P
The reason why bachmann would never make any narrow gauge engines is because:
1.They are smaller than standard gauge engines.
2.Bachmann would have to make this entire range for N scale in order to have them share the same size.
3.The skarloey engines are better off made as toys so you can make your own in 009 scale.

So there!! >:(

Not the entire range. They would start off with some basic stuff and a set or 2.

Example: 2012
Skarloey
Sir Handel
Red Coaches
Blue Coaches
Brakevan
Skarloey and 2-4 Blue Coaches and brakevan set in a circle
Sir Handel and 3 Red Coaches in an oval set.

No need to be such a total crosspatch about making people believe in no Skarloey Railway range for N/009 Scale. :P

@Anthony P2 yeah, why can't we all get along with someone grumbling about Bachmann never making any Skarloey Ralway engines?

P.S: ClearwaterMK2 being frightened if they do start on the range? Are you kidding me? Not being mean or anything... but, seriously? ???
Thomas + Bachmann = the True Thomas Experience.

Ivo Hugh

It's funny. Even this is just a post where we can give out some ideas about what's to be released in the coming months, it has become a massive bickering match with ClearWtaerMK2. Though, I hate to be rude, but CWM2 is just being an immature nuisance. Can we just get on with bringing out our predictions? We can suggest some things until this weekend when the Toy Fair happens.
1. Skarloey, 2. Rheneas, 3. Sir Handel, 4. Peter Sam, 5. Rusty, 6. Duncan, 7. Ivo Hugh, 8. Duke, 9. Fred. I am a fan of the Skarloey Railway from The Railway Series.

J70

The issue with the Skarloey Railway isn't about Bachmann making them, it's about how they would make them.

I'm a member of a narrow gauge modeling forum that is host to both modelers and manufacturers, and both have been in discussions over anything done in OO9. The end conclusion is the core market for OO9 locos is far too small to make any line specific locomotive viable. The only feasible way to get a OO9 loco would be to fund the whole production yourself, and this can be very costly.

With Skarloey items, they fall into the OO9 market. In the US, anything narrow gauge seems to be made to HOn3 and HOn30 and very much US outline. Considering they are very much identifiable to just one line, it essentially lowers the potential market for the models. None of the Skarloey items are even remotely American in outline, so you've lost some sales to this market.

Bachmann, or technically it's parent firm Kader, has only done HO scale narrow gauge under it's Lilliput brand, and even then the market is easier. If you're thinking "why don't they make them then and sell in Europe too?" it's because it's a tricky market to go in to. Roco decided they would release a British outline locomotive, and quickly found they had no market to sell it to.

So if you've read that and are thinking "well surely most of them will be bought by parents for their kids?" then I'll say this. If you've got your kid a HO scale set up already, and see that these products won't work on the same track system, then you'd more than likely avoid buying them. The success of brands like Trackmaster and Wooden Railroads is compatibility. It has to be compatible for it to sell.

Therefore, you do have one good modelling scale that the Skarloey items could be made for. On30. Doing them to this size would mean they could use existing track, as well as offer themselves to an existing market Bachmann supplies and has a good reputation in. Whilst this means they would look silly to us if you mixed them alongside your HO models, I'm sure the core audience of these models wouldn't mind one bit.  ;)

Jack