Electrical supply to DCC equipment

Started by 8-7-49, August 09, 2011, 11:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8-7-49

I'm in Australia and looking for DCC equipment. Favourite is either 44902 System or 36505 wireless system. Australia prices are much higher than US but Australia uses 240 v AC, 50 Hz domestic electrical supply where as US (I believe) use 110v AC 60 Hz electrical supply ???. Is all Bachmann equipment sold in the US, 110 v 60Hz and that sold in Australia / UK etc 240v 50Hz? Or is it all basically the same and tolerates whatever supply it receives?

ACY

You cannot use Bachmann systems purchased from the United States with the power supplies they come with, you need to use the supplies that come with systems sold in Australia or the equivalent.

NarrowMinded

The Dynamis System comes with a self regulating Walwart/plugin power supply.
the input voltage is 100vac to 240vac the output is 16vdc

Do not mistake this for the EZ command you MUST use a power supply rated for your voltage. that said, it should be easy to find a power suppy with 16vdc output or 16vac that will work at a local electronic shop.

NM-Jeff

richg

Always check the specs for the power pack. If it says, 120VAC to 240VAC, it will work on 220 mains power. 50hz or 60hz mains makes no difference.
These are called a switched-mode power supply.
All power packs I have seen advertised mention these specs. That is usually why these packs are much lighter in weight than standard packs.
The little wall warts many of us have use the same technology. PC power supplies are the same type.
Technical info in the below link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switched-mode_power_supply

Rich