Brand New Willaims semi-scale Hudson

Started by gmaneis, August 16, 2011, 10:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmaneis

Long time model railroader, but no O scale since 1960! New Williams semi-scale Hudson arrived today, and this is going to sound like I work for WBB, but man! That thing is beatiful. Weighs about 6 pounds, so very solid feel. Wonderful. Just a couple of questions. I never lubricated engines when I was a kid? Is it hard to do? Instructions look fairly easy. What kind of oil should be used? Second and more important question: Can anyone recommend a good transformer for this engine with its four lighted passenger cars on a small one track layout? I have an MRC AC 1301 Throttlepack, but it's rated at only 64 Watts, and WBB recommends at least 90 watts for this engine, so I am afraid of damaging the motor with the weaker transformer. Any power suggestions around $100 or less?

DominicMazoch

The Lionel 1033/1044 and Lionel MPC 6-4090 transformers are 90 watters.  But with lighted passenger cars, you even need, as in the TV show HOME IMPROVEMENT, "more power".

Usually, transformers are about a dollar a watt.

And the older tranformers were rated on max, short term output.  the longer they ran, the fewer watts they put out.  The newer ones put out what they  say.  The 1033 family dropped to 70-80 W after a while.  The WBB one then should work FOR THE HUDSON ALONE!

Hi gmaneis,
                MTH ( Mike's Train House ) has a Z 1000 transformer @ 100 watts output.
I have read several favorable writeups about it.
                Wholesale Trains on line has it priced at $79.23. You may want to look into this transformer for your power needs.
                 I do not have one yet, but I am considering one. ( Currently using two Lionel ZW and one KW. ) These have an initial voltage output of approx 6volts. The WbyB trains like to start at a lower voltage. The 6 volt makes the locos sprint start instead of a nice gradual acceleration.

Hope this helps...671

gmaneis,

The Trainland/Trainworld Website has the same transformer Z 1000 @ $77.99. Do a little research, see if this is for you.

Hope this helps... 671

gmaneis

Thanks all of you for your answers. Actually, my MRC trans. is running the train just fine, with lights, whistle, and bell, too. Probably will be okay. I'll monitor for overheating and let others know if it's a problem.

OGReditor

I use MTH Z1000 transformers to run all of my O gauge trains (on two separate layouts), including a number of Williams by Bachmann locomotives.  Works just fine for me.