News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

foldable track

Started by aero_nautical, September 02, 2011, 10:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aero_nautical

I posted this also in General Topics. I am thinking of building a folding HO layout that I could roll into a spare room when not in use. I want a layout that would require about 8' by 10' or so but don't have the space for a permanent setup. I was thinking about taking some thin plywood and sandwiching it around styrofoam sheets for strength and light weigth, making a tri-fold design with mayne a 12 inch to 2 feet center section to give clearance for scenery, and having two full 4' by 8' sections on each side. From the end it would resemble a taco. I would need a track that would fold at the joints. Any ideas?

aero_nautical

Let me try to be a bit more precise as to what I was planning. I envision it having three sections. Two 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, or something, as the foldable sections and joined in between by a center section that is maybe 1 x 8. The reason for the center section would be solely to create a space for the scenery components of the two 4 x 8 sections when they were folded vertically. That is why it would look like a taco from the end. When it was laid down it would be about 8 x 9 which is a good size for a complex layout. But fold the two 4 x 8 "wings" up and roll it away. I could build legs and wheels on it too.

There are two problems that I am trying to work out though:

First, for it to be stiff enough to keep everything aligned the plywood would have to be thick enough to be rigid. The larger the size of a sheet the more a given thickness will flex. So, I as thinking of using two thin plywood "skins" glued to sandwich a styrofoan "cores" so that the entire rig would be light enough to handle.

The other problem is how to hinge the track sections at the hinge points of the folds. Is there a way to do this?

Joe Satnik

Dear  aero_nautical,

I have seen short sections of (non-roadbed) straight track between the modules of modular layouts at train shows.   

The ties are cut away on the ends of the track to allow the rail connectors to be slipped completely back onto the rail,

clearing the adjacent track's rail, allowing the track piece to be lifted out. 

Modules then are dis-assembled from one another.

They don't seem to worry too much about the looks of the transition piece, with the missing ties and no ballast. 

I have also seen re-railer sections used for transition pieces. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Doneldon

aero-

Your layout sandwich is a good idea but it may still lack some of the rigidity you need and it will definitely lack the beef you need to attach the hinges. Also, having plywood on top, even quarter-inch, will complicate putting scenery below grade (things like trackside ditches, lakes or rivers, canyons or gulches, etc.).

I suggest that you build frames for all three sections with vertical 1x4 lumber (pay a little extra for straightness and appearance) with horizontal 1x2s attached to support the edges of your sandwich and as cross members to prevent sagging. You can omit the top skin with such a frame which will simplify construction, reduce some weight andopen up that under grade area.

I think the hinge issues were answered well in the posts on the general board.
                                                                                                                        -- D