News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

remote throttle

Started by fracon, September 09, 2011, 08:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fracon

was suggested i go here what i want is hand held remote to operate  mpc, williams postwar  with out eng chips [i only run i eng at time] must have varible voltage [ac] at track would a inverter sw dc power at trk to ac ?? this KISS project is very frustrating esp when williams has simple mtr controll [once again want SIMPLE system] thank you fracon

Loco Bill Canelos

It would probably be best if you posted this on the Williams by Bachmann board.  Better chance to get an answer
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

3rail

Hi Fracon,

All of the command systems have options for contolling the track power via their remote.  They do not require a chip in each loco, but do require some hardware connected to each track that you wish to control with the remote.

Regards,

3rail

DominicMazoch

In the Lionel TMCC system

1.  AC transformer to PowerMaster to track, controlled my Cab-1

2.  PowerHouse to Powermaster to track, controlled by Cab-1

3.  AC transformer to TPC 3/400, to track.  TPC is controlled by wiring to Command Base.  Cab-1 talks to the Command base, then to the TPC

4.  PowerMaster to TPC 3/400 to track.  See rest of 3.

In th3 lionel Legacy system:

!.  AC transformer to PowerMaster to track.  PowerMaster is controlled by signals to the Command Base, then to the Bridege, to the Powermaster.

2.  PowerHouse to PowerMaster to track.  Powermaster is controlled as 1.

3.  AC transformer to TCP3/400to track.  Controlled by signal from Cab-2 to Command Base, then wire to TPC.

4.  PowerHouse to TPC 3/400 to track.  See the rest of 3 above.

Seaboard Air Line Fan

What Dominic said.

I was using the first setup he mentioned, but from what I understand, using a TPC300 or TPC 400 will give you finer (slower) control over your engines.  Please correct me if I'm in error.

The 1st setup would cost maybe $200 (transformer, PowerMaster, Cab1) if you had to go buy all 3 pieces (plus you need a cable from the transformer to the PowerMaster).

Lionel has discontinued support for the TMCC system in favor of their Legacy system, so the PowerMaster and CAB-1 are getting harder to find.  I have since bought the MTH DCS system, which also runs conventional engines (I have 3 MTH DCS/PS2 engines and 3 Conventional engines).

DominicMazoch

SAL Fan:

What you say about the TPC is correct.

phillyreading

Just to add a little more on price for remote control systems; the TPC 300 or TPC 400 would probally be least expensive, around $200.00 used. The TPC's are out of production to the best of my knowledge.

For Lionel or MTH command control system you will spend $300.00 up to $450.00 just for the new control system. Buy something used first to see if you will like it, before sinking money on a new command control system.

Lee F.