White Christmas Engine 90076 - Should it have Smoke switch?

Started by rcalder, September 12, 2011, 02:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcalder

Hi,
Have just purchased my first Bachmann engine which  is from is from a White Christmas Set. ((90076)  It is sold as having a smoke generator. The printed manual and DVD seem to imply that it may have a smoke switch behind the smokebox door.  It doesn't have a switch there at all.
Can any body tell me whether this engine has a smoke switch?  or perhaps it doesn't need a switch.  Will the smoke unit burn out if it is run without oil for making smoke?
I am new to G Scale and I don't wish to damage the engine , so I haven't yet tested it.

rcalder

Loco Bill Canelos

recalder,

Your locomotive has two switches behind the smoke box door on the front of the loco.  one for smoke and one for ploarity. Look again for the small latch that holds it closed.  You may be removing the entire front of the boiler rather than opening the door.

Here are the instructions which come with that set. 
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rcalder

Thanks Bill,

you were spot on.  I didn't notice the little latch and was removing the front of the boiler.  Have found the latch and now the smoke switch.  Just has a gap where the polarity switch might be though.  Guess that doesn't matter.
cheers

lasouthard

When does the smoke appear?  I turned the switch to on and added the drops of fluid ran the train but no smoke.  Should I hear anything when I turn on the switch?  How long does it take to get smoke?

Loco Bill Canelos

You really need to have the power up fairly high to get the smoke, It is also possible the smoke unit is burned out.  If it was ever run with the smoke switch on but no fluid in the stack it burns out right away.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Barry BBT

I experimented many years ago and found the smoke occurred at 14 volts.  Problem with that is that the loco will be moving so quickly, you can't see the smoke until you slow down.

Hopefully that has changed, as I said it was many years ago.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.